Transmission Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Freestyle | Ford Flex | Taurus X
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Freestyle | Ford Flex | Taurus X Forum for the discussion of the Ford Flex, Ford Freestyle and Taurus X crossover.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 14:59   #1 (permalink)

Transmission Problem

I am starting this thread with a 2009 Flex because my six speed transmission has what I would describe as a very violent thud on occasion. I found this site because apparently some Taurus owners have had a similar problem, and I am guessing the Flex has the same trans as the Taurus.

The first occurence happened with just 60 miles on the odometer! And now with 1500 miles, it has done it a total of about ten times. The dealer could not duplicate the problem when he kept and drove the car for THREE days!

Let me tell you...this is not just a rough shift. What I am describing is a VERY big thud, where you think you've hit the biggest pothole of your life or you've been rear-ended, or that the darn tranny is falling out of the vehicle! Lasts for just a second then back to bliss. Strangest thing.

My dealer is not aware of any TSB for the Flex so I am in limbo and VERY disgruntled.

Brian
San Clemente, CA
FLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 17:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: Transmission Problem

We can now close this thread! Here is how it ended up:

I have received an entire transmission replacement. Yes, the whole thing.

For reasons unknown, my transmission was "cavitating", which means air pockets were developing where fluid should be. This was causing the trans to enter Neutral at moderate speeds, then placing itself back into gear at a much higher RPM for a very violent bang/thud.

My interpretation of cavitation would be drinking a beverage with a straw and you get to the bottom and you start pulling air up the straw instead of liquid. My transmission seemed to have this problem most often in uphill and right hand turns, perhaps indicating the fluid pickup in the sump was too short or maybe bent away from the optimal fluid source.

Ford corporate did not want the local dealer service dept to take apart the trans, but rather funded a whole new component.

Running like a dream now.
FLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 17:15   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

That is great news. Thanks for keeping us posted
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07   #4 (permalink)

Hello everyone,

I don't believe that Ford still has this problem. I had an Explorer for four years, and now, believe it or not, I got rid of it for good.
When I brought the Explode to Ford and they took a test drive on it. Ford mechanic found nothing. Their people could not duplicate the problem. Then I brought it to another dealer shop, their people found nothing wrong. Many times, no matter what I had to spend times to take off from my work , many times I spent a trip from a dealer to another, they found nothing wrong.
There are two of them replaced transmission fluid; the rear axtial and the transmission. Believe it or not, the vehicle did go back to normal for a while and went back to the same problem. Then the vehicle went out of warrantee, and Ford did not want to fix it for free.
There are several problems, I believe it would not make me to come back to Ford again:
1. The Ford service departments' people don't have much experience to deal with its customers.
2. The worst people when you call in to describe a problem is the Ford customer relation dept. They handle verry poor, and even have attitude to the customers.
I was crying when they were treating me four years ago. There was no one help me at all.

I am sorry to tell you guys on this Ford forum.

Tony
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Freestyle | Ford Flex | Taurus X