235/55/zr 17 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Supporting Vendors > Discount Tire
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Discount Tire Discount Tire

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

235/55/zr 17

I Need some tire advice.

I've tried Goodyear, Michelin, Firehawk & now Pirelli & I can't get over 15k from a set of tires. I've had alignment checked twice over the past few years and required no adjustment. They seem to wear even but just won't last. All of the above tires seem to cause the car to roadwalk and make sterring very difficult. The Michelin's weren't so bad but are just too expensive.

It's a 05 Impala SS w/TPMS

Im thinking about the Yokohama YK520 / 235/55R-17 99H B

Would this be a good tire or should I look at another brand.

The car is drivin normally, (most of the time)

Thanks in advance
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 13:05   #2 (permalink)
Wheel & Tire Guys

Re: 235/55/zr 17

Thank you for the question and sorry for the delay. I was in NJ from late last week to yesterday.

If you are looking for a long lasting tire you going to want to look at some of the highway or all season tires. Highway and all season tires usually have a harder rubber compound that will last longer than performance tires. Downfall is that they don't hook up quite as quick and grab quite as nice on the corners when you are "driving spirited".

The Yokohama YK520 is a nice tire. But it isn't speed rated for your SS impala. It would be a great tire for the standard Impala. Your Impala came with a "w" speed rated tire and the YK520 in that size is only an "H". (W is rated up to 168pmh and H is only rated up to 130pmh)

As for the other tires that you have run, it is possible that they were not speed rated for your vehicle and in turn are burned up quickly. Your SS has quite the kick, but I shouldn't have to tell you that. The extra torque will burn through under speed rated tires.

Take a look at the new Goodyear Eagle F1 AS This tire is load and speed rated for your car, it has a good tread ware rating, and it will be awesome in any rainy weather that you might run into.
I would also recommend the new Yokohama S- Drive but I think the tread wear is a bit low for you. If I am interpreting how your previous tires have been burning up, I think these will burn up for you too.

Hope this helps, let me know what you end up going with.

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?
Discount Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 14:56   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Thank You for taking the time to explain the speed rating issue. I read the reviews on the F1 All Season and im gonna take your advice & buy a set. Can you give me some info on this tire such as Road Hazzard and how Discount Tire handles these issues?

**edit - I found the Warranty info in the INFO CENTER "Certificate For Free Replacement" sounds like a good deal. I hope to order next week as the stimulus check is on the way
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09   #4 (permalink)
Wheel & Tire Guys

No problem, I'm glad to help. I am confident that the F1 AS will be a great tire for you. After you have had them for a little while. Let me know what you think.

Old 07-13-2008, 18:21   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

These tires are Excellent! Rides like a totally different car. The carbon fiber reinforced sidewalls really makes a difference.

Thanks again for the heads up

Old 07-18-2008, 13:04   #6 (permalink)
Wheel & Tire Guys

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase! I just put a set of these on my sisters IS300, the steering response is incredible. Love that carbon fiber sidewall!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Supporting Vendors > Discount Tire