Snow Tires? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Supporting Vendors > Discount Tire
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Discount Tire Discount Tire

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 12:51   #1 (permalink)

Snow Tires?

I'm looking for a set of snow tires, and was thing about the Blizzak WS-70's. Also, I have 2002 CV Sport with 17'' rims. Do you think I should put 16'' tires on, or stay with the 17's. Also, would putting 16'' wheels on effect anything? I recently read 16'' snow tires produce better tracktion.

Thank you
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 14:38   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Snow Tires?

When it comes to deep snow traction you can't beat the Blizzaks for passenger car snow tires, but they can get pretty squirmy on dry roads. The Goodyear X-ice, Continental ExtremeWinterContact, and Michelin Alpine are all good tires as well. If you want studed tires go for the General Altimax Arctic or Hankook Winter iPike; both sell like hotcakes here in Syracuse. When looking for winter tires you should consider how cold it gets, how much snow you get, how icy the roads are in your area, and how often your streets are plowed. Each tire will offer a slightly different combination of ice grip, snow grip, wet grip, and dry handling. I suggest checking out Consumer Reports and TireRack.com for your reasearch, and then shopping around for prices.

As for the wheel size issue, the narrower the tire is the less snow it has to push out of the way as it rolls. Smaller diameter wheels have narrower tires, which is probably what you read about. Going from 17" tires to 16" tires with higher sidewalls will magnify the "squishy snowtire" feeling but it won't dramatically effect your car's handling or performance. Unless you regularly get heavy snow fall or live in an infrequently plowed area, you're not going to reap the benefits of having a 1/3" narrower tire.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Supporting Vendors > Discount Tire