Shocks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Transit Connect
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Transit Connect Forum for discussion of the Ford Transit Connect

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 17:14   #1 (permalink)

Shocks

I have a 2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT that was previously a commercial electrician's van. The inside from behind the driver's and passenger's seats is empty now - I have removed the metal shelving. But I would like to turn it into a microRV, and as part of that I would like to get stronger shocks. I can get help installing them at the base Auto Hobby shop, but need recommendations as to the best shocks to use. I don't want to have to guess. I am going to be putting about 200-300 more lbs in the back. At a later date I want to attach a class three hitch. Any help would be much appreciated.

My previous post was deleted without notice. If I did something wrong please let me know by sending me a message. Just deleting it without explanation is rude and doesn't speak well of the site administration.
ben_marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 18:15   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Shocks

Not sure what happened in your deletion. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Be forewarned on you r plans, the Transit is quite under powered for any serious hauling. We have one in our fleet that has about 800-1000 lbs in it, has little acceleration and tends to decelerate in fairly mild hills. Max payload is 1600 lbs, not a lot depending on what you plan on throwing in it.

Specifications - 2010 Ford Transit Connect Van XLT - Yahoo Autos

Since yours was all ready contractor grade, unless the springs and struts are shot, are probably the heaviest you'll find. They do make air suspension kits if your interested, but before making any modifications, I'd get an estimate on how heavy your mods are going to make it. You have to remember, the GVW doesn't just look at the suspension and frame, but the capacity of the brakes. Also, the Transit is a unibody, they don't take overloading very well.
Old 02-23-2014, 18:33   #3 (permalink)

I understand - but I have seen several Transits with RV setups in the back, and one with a class 3 hitch. I would not be hauling anything more than a 150-200 lb load on a hobby trailer. That would be pushing it! The RV setup would be nothing more than a bunk and a desk, only 10-15 lbs water by weight, a mini 12V cooler, and clothes.
ben_marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 19:02   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Your springs probably are probably up to snuff then, as it was an electrical contractor who probably hauled 500Lbs +.
Old 06-19-2014, 18:21   #5 (permalink)

I believe they come all equipped the same. They are shipped from overseas with windows all around and rear seats. They remove all of this stuff stateside. It's a loophole for the commercial vehicle tax when importing. Notice that the side windows have gaps between the window delete panels and the body. Compare this with an American made Chevrolet or Ford commercial van that has smooth window deletes with no gap.
Blaine B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Transit Connect