1978 Mercury Grand Marquis...Need weatherstripping - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > LTD
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15   #1 (permalink)

1978 Mercury Grand Marquis...Need weatherstripping

Hi all,

I have a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis 4-door that I'm restoring, and I'm in need of the weatherstripping on all 4 side windows. I've found stuff for Lincolns of this vintage, and for early '70s Fords, but the Mercury parts seem to be unobtanium. If I have to, I'll buy the generic stuff from JC Whitney and cut it to fit, but I would really appreciate it if anyone know a source for the real stuff.

And yeah, I know I'm gonna end up spending 20 grand fixing this car up and wind up with a $4000 car at the end of the day. I'm ok with that. The car has sentimental value to me, so it's worth it.
rea98d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 18:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis...Need weatherstripping

Hi rea98d,
I am also having this problem, finding parts (weatherstripping included) for my 1977 Marquis coupe. Around here the junkyards scrapped all the older cars up through the 80's when scrap metal prices peaked. The aftermarket parts seems to end at 1972. I too would like to buy something custom-fit, I just can't find anything. This strikes me as odd since according to Wikipedia the 1969 to 1978 full size Ford products are second in production totals only to the model "T". All I see is mostly Cougar, Mustang, Torino, Bronco, etc. parts for sale. Our cars should be the same as the corresponding years of the Lincoln Continental (?) but I do not find much available for them either. I'm interested to find out what you turn-up.
LTD luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > LTD