Ford Forums banner

351M Mystery Sensor

13K views 36 replies 6 participants last post by  ledzilla 
#1 ·
What, pray tell, is the sensor in this photo? I'm assuming it's oil pressure.

See less See more
#4 ·
This is the back of the motor, with the air cleaner showing on the left, the heater core box showing on the right, and the throttle/cruise control linkages at the bottom. I can get a wider view if still needed.

#7 ·
Oddly enough, I bought a replacement oil pressure sender, but got confusing info on the location, so it's still sitting around. Based on the poor info I found, this seems like what it should be. When I have a chance I'll pull that whatever out and compare it to the sender I purchased, see what I got. I think it might be bad, anyway.

#12 ·
Ok, so given that this is the oil pressure sender, does it connect to the "ENGINE" light in the dash? Also, would I be able to use a standard replacement to connect it to a gauge, or would I have to look for a particular kind in order to utilize an oil pressure gauge?

#14 ·
So, that would require an additional sensor to be installed, but I'm sure where else to install one on this motor. Is there some reference material that clearly shows a good spot? I've tried searching, but nothing I found was particularly useful.

#17 ·
Ok, kind of a thread necro, but...

So, the "ENGINE" light is typically on rather dim while the engine is running. At least it is now, after replacing all the burned out indicator lights in the dash. I figured maybe the switch had gone bad, so replacing it would help. Well, new oil pressure switch installed, light still dimly lit. Any ideas why that would happen? Best I can tell, that idiot light is tied into the oil pressure switch and a coolant temperature switch, but for the life of me, I see no coolant temperature switches/sensors anywhere with the exception of a vacuum switch mounted into the thermostat housing.

#20 ·
Ok; you will probably find if next oil change you change to an heavier no synthetic blend oil specified for the vehicle (and older vehicles) and without the Rislone rather than a modern synthetic the light will go out. But the oil you are using is probably OK just that the engine is old and worn and the lighter synthetic blend just triggers the switch. Perhaps Castrol Classic XL 20W-50 http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/products/cars/classic-oils/classic-engine-oils.html or Shell Classic X-100 20W-50 https://www.shellx100oil.com/product-page/shell-x-100-motor-oil-20w-50-5-us-quart

#26 ·
Time to check the oil pressure with something like this: Oil Pressure Tester Gauge Engine Diagnostic Test Kit Adapters Case 0-100psi But first check the warning light is to specs (volts, amps and watts) and you don't have a sender unit meant for an oil pressure gauge rather than a warning light installed.

Edit: Ok checking your earlier post that is a warning light switch so just check you have the right switch (and globe) specified for that engine, year and vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.