Loss of power and smoking LTD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > LTD
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 15:29   #1 (permalink)

Loss of power and smoking LTD

I just bought an 86 Ford LTD station wagon and two weeks later it started having problems. A bit of background. It leaks a little oil and the dip stick still is reading high still. It has plenty of anti-freeze in the reservoir and I just replaced the fuel filter.

The problem that I am having, it drives well when I first bought it for a week then I starting having intermittent moments when the engine loses power and doesn't sound like it is firing as well. I was positive on the fuel filter and replaced it. Then yesterday, I drove up a hill and had the engine drop power, sound like it wasn't firing well and barely made it up the hill. Then I stopped to check it out and it had started smoking lightly but enough to notice.

This brings me to possible problems. I am guessing that it is overheating but I am not sure. I don't have a warning light on the dash but I am not sure that if a temp sensor is burnt out or not. I also do not know it there even is a temp sensor light. There isn't an actual temp sensor gauge, unfortunately.

My game plan is to treat it as an overheating problem. I am going to tear the dash apart to see if any lights are out to detect overheating. Then I am going to check the thermostat, fan, and quality of the antifreeze. If that doesn't fix the problem. I want to have the radiator checked and check out the water pump for corrosion or a broken propeller.

Am I missing anything? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marshall
mwingerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Loss of power and smoking LTD

I think before you start tearing things apart and spending money that you should determine what the engine temp really is and if it is an overheating problem. If you cant see a gauge or light on your dash then maybe purchase a generic gauge that suits your car and fit it then check the running temp. That way at least you know where you are starting and if it is overheating then you will be able determine when it is fixed after carrying out repairs.

Sometimes people can spend valuable time and money repairing stuff that may not even be an issue so first off determine the problem to repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > LTD