old to new - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > LTD
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 15:57   #1 (permalink)
EMPOWERED USER

Thumbs up old to new

hey there, i recently accuired a 71 LTD with a 351w. i am looking to take it injected and install some digital ignition. i have been told that there are some systems and components that i can use from the mustangs to save me some green. i would appreciate any direction anyone could point me in for some help organizing this little party for my new child.
71LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 01:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: old to new

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71LTD View Post
hey there, i recently accuired a 71 LTD with a 351w. i am looking to take it injected and install some digital ignition. i have been told that there are some systems and components that i can use from the mustangs to save me some green. i would appreciate any direction anyone could point me in for some help organizing this little party for my new child.
Use a complete engine from a later model efi car/truck would be cheapest. Get the computer too and then get a sparkie to wire it. Not cheap but it should be nice to drive.While the sparkie is at it he can rewire the whole car as the original harnesses left a lot to be desired. I have one here i n Oz which is even worse as they just put connectors and joiners in the harness to convert it [factory] to RHD All Fords of that era had crap wiring both here and US.
Or go old fashioned and use a Performer with a 600 Holley and a decent electronic dissy from a late 70s early 80s car.Will be a lot cheaper.
They are a great car though and very underrated
Lee Nicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:57   #3 (permalink)

2 ways you can likely go here...

With fuelie, you can try to piece together parts from mid-80s to 90s Mustangs, Explorers, F150s, etc. Best luck may be with the F150, as you'll find parts from 351s, not 5.0s. Not sure what vintage the 351W you have is, but this could cause some issues re: smog equipment, to run with the later model computer etc.

A better way may be an aftermarket injection set up, carb-style maybe, that you'd source from the manufacturer. Not totally cost effective, but in the long run you'd likely have a more complete starting point.

Ignition same thing. Maybe a FAST or MSD system or the like.
oogieboogiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 21:19   #4 (permalink)

From what I can see, that is a beautiful car! Can you post any pictures? Love to see them! My first car, was a '71 Galaxie 500 4 door, with the 351W. Love the front, and rear end styling of those cars! Especially the LTD's, with the middle taillight.

That sure does bring back memories!

John
2000GMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 20:06   #5 (permalink)

71 & 72 are my favorite years of LTD's, looks wise. If the car is in good shape I think it would be a shame to modify it at all. Seems like it would have more potential collectors value in it original configuration.
LTD luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > LTD