Ford Forums banner

Random Stalling

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ledzilla 
#1 ·
For the last couple months, the engine has been stalling. New plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor, fuel pump, filter. Thought maybe rebuilding the carb would solve the problem, but it didn't. It'll stall while parked or while moving. Typically only during the first couple minutes after being started, makes no difference if the engine is hot or cold. Twice it stalled after it had been running for a long time, and both times were close together, each time while making a turn. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
This suggests the power steering is putting too much load on the engine causing it to stall at low speeds. You probably need a new power steering pump. It likely worn and not able to supply sufficient pressure at low revs. Does the steering feel heavier at low speeds? I am assuming the power steering system doesn't have a means to boosts the revs at low speed as later ECU controlled and fuel injected cars did. What revs are you idling at (might be too low)?

#3 ·
Power steering is smooth and easy at any RPM. It does need a new pump as higher RPMs cause some squealing, and hoping to get that dealt with soon. But it's even happened while running at fast idle on startup. Start it, it runs at fast idle, walk away for a few minutes, come back to find it stalled.

#5 ·
Brand new brass float with carb rebuild (problem existed prior to rebuild, still remains). As for vacuum, I've reated some big vacuum leaks with disconnecting lines doing some other testing and disagnostics, the worse effect was a slightly rough idle. I'm willing to grant a potential small vacuum leak I haven't yet found (still replacing old vacuum lines), but vacuum leaks don't seem to cause serious problems with this motor. Unlike my Buick where even small vacuum leaks cause it to stall.

#6 ·
Ok, so things happened. I'm still trying to get the fuel level sender adjusted properly, so it's hard to know how much gas I have below about a half tank. I ended up running out of gas, and when it stalled from lack of fuel, it stalled exactly how it does otherwise. So, I guess it would seem that it stalls from a lack of fuel? I installed a new fuel pump in September, so maybe it's defective.

#8 ·
The pickup and everything is new, too, but maybe you're right. Maybe something got loosened up in the tank and soaked the sock. I have to pull it out anyway to adjust the float.

#11 ·
I've been thinking about this. But there's only about 2-3 inches of fuel hose between the metal line from the pump and the carb, and I haven't been remembering to see where I could run extra hose to accommodate the gauge.

#14 ·
Running great, and this morning is stalls out twice. Once while coasting around 45mph, and then a few minutes later when coming to a stop at a stop sign. But it hasn't stalled while idling in park.

#16 ·
Yeah, based on some issues I have with starting, I know I still have some idle tweaks to make. Waiting on a flexible screwdriver to arrive so I can reach the idle mixture screw behind the A/C compressor. Probably need to set the idle to open the throttle plate a bit, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.