Nice Jag . - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Pictures and Videos
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Pictures and Videos This area is for those who'd like to "Show their Stuff" Post pictures or videos of your ride, projects or anything else. Please Keep It Clean!

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18   #1 (permalink)
Moderators

Nice Jag .

Impressive spec . 11 radiators !!!

Jaguar flies the flag by showing the world cutting-edge engineering - Quentin Willson - Mirror Online
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 12:35   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: Nice Jag .

Yea I seen a cut away of this car, and it's crazy with the radiators.

But it needs it, defiantly.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 14:41   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

This explains what the 11 rads are for ,

Have a listen to the Jaguar C-X75 - BBC Top Gear
Old 07-29-2012, 15:07   #4 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

wow, she sounds like a beast at 10,000 RPM.

500 BHP? What's the B representing? I've heard of WheelHP, CrankHP, but what is BHP?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 15:10   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Brake horse power
Old 07-29-2012, 18:28   #6 (permalink)

Does that mean horsepower to the actual wheels or flywheel? I've watched most of top gear and seems the specs they give are flywheel, just called brake horsepower
Franchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 19:29   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

BHP and Hp are pretty much synonymous. Brake refers to the dynometer or "brake" used to determine the horsepower. Got curious, the origin of the term brake actually goes back to the early days of aeronautics. It was originally the net HP of the engine after friction loss of the prop. Due to the denser atmosphere at lower altitudes, the BHP of a prop plane was lower than it was at higher altitudes.

There, that was my Cliffy moment of the day. (For those who don't get the reference, watch an old episode of "Cheers", ya dang-blaim whipper-snappers)
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Horsepower goes back to the days when horses ruled the world, literally!

The Scottish Engineer and inventor, James Watt (1736-1819), introduced the term "horsepower". The term was and is used to indicate the rate at which an engine can deliver work. As such, it is a measure of power, that is, energy produced or worked done by an engine per unit time. Mr. Watt made considerable improvements to steam engines (which were invented about 70 years earlier, in 1698, by Thomas Savery). His improvements led to engines that were four times more efficient (used less coal) than others, much smaller than before, and much more powerful (from earlier 6 horsepower ones to about 200 horsepower). Oh, you could NOT fit one under the hood, any hood).

Naturally, Mr. Watt wanted to tell how powerful his engines were. So, after some tests (not with engines but with horses) he established that on the average, a horse could haul coal at the rate of 22,000 lb-ft per min. For some reason, unknown to me, he decided the raise this number by 50% to arrive at 33,000 lb-ft per minutes (No, horses those days were not on drugs; steroids were not known at that time, but I am sure Mr. Watt had his own reasons for this increase). So, if an engine can push 33,000 Lb of something one foot in one minute, we say that is a one-horsepower engine. By the way, I believe that deliverable power, also known as brake or shaft power, is the one used in automobile industry in the US, and this indicates the practical ability of the engine, i.e., engine power minus losses due to friction, compression, heat, etc.

Currently, there are two systems of units used: one is the metric system used internationally, and the other one is the English systems used mostly in the US. (That's right; we like the idea of being Royal -and loyal- subjects!) Horsepower, as a unit of power, belongs to the English system but I believe it is formally used in the metric system as well, and its value is 32,549 lb-ft per min. The unit for power in the metric system is Watt (W). Named after whom?

So, horsepower (abbreviated as hp) is a measure of power, as is Watt (We come full circle, from Mr. Watt and horses to Horsepower and back to Watt!). Now, let's for a moment talk about ENERGY. Work and heat are two forms of energy. If you rub two pieces of metal together and work at it, they heat up! Or if you take a metal bar and put it end-to end between two heavy objects and heat up the rod by a torch, the rod will expand and push the object apart. These two examples show that work and heat are forms of energy and are convertible to one another. Electricity delivered to our homes is also a form of energy.

Energy per unit time, as mentioned, is power. Units of power in common use are horsepower (hp) for work, Btu/hr for heat, and Watt (W) for electricity. As you expect these units are related. It is due to historical precedent that terms other than W are used. In the metric system, we can express all the above in Watts.

In any case, by referring to table of conversions, you will see that one horsepower is 746 W and 2545 Btu/hr. To summarize: Power can be expressed in terms of horsepower, Btu/hr, or Watts. Energy, which is power multiplied by time, is expressed, correspondingly, in lb-ft, BTU, and Joules. In particular, 1 W = 1 Joule per second. I BTU=1055 Joules.

Example: You turn on a 1000 W (=1 kilowatt) electric heater for one hour. The power of the heater is, of course, 1000 W =1.34 hp = 3412 Btu/hr. The energy used or the heat produced is commonly referred to as one kilowatt hour = 1000 W x 3600 seconds = 3600 kilo Joules = 3412 Btu.

I hope the issue is clear now.

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Old 07-30-2012, 18:10   #9 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I've been out Cliffed.
Old 07-30-2012, 18:20   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

For those still in the dark, be enlightened by his wisdom:Yahoo! Video Detail for Cliff Clavin on Jeopardy

Yahoo! Video Detail for More of Cliff Clavin's Theories on Beer

And the ever so famous: "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Pictures and Videos