If this doesn't get you sea sick nothing will. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Hunting & Fishing
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Hunting & Fishing Here you may discuss hunting and fishing gear and equipment. Post your pictures of that trophy buck, or talk about the big one that got away...

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If this doesn't get you sea sick nothing will.

Watch this and you will see why we choose flood or slack tides to cross this bar.

Incredible video - fishing boats in rough sea - YouTube

Last edited by Bert; 12-16-2012 at 08:14. Reason: Removed wrong information.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: If this doesn't get you sea sick nothing will.

That's some rough seas!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

The vehicles at the end appear to be Right Hand Drive and do I detect an Oz accent?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:15   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I was close it's New Zealand Uploaded to Youtube on Jan 19, 2011

2 fishing vessels brave the Grey River bar in full flood Greymouth New Zealand HD Video by Geoff Mackley and Bradley Ambrose
See

Old 12-16-2012, 03:37   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Greymouth bar braved by experienced fisherman - Story - NZ News - 3 News

Quote:
The huge storms that have caused mayhem in Australia and, to a lesser extent, here, have left a calling card in Greymouth that four fishermen will never forget.

Two fishing boats – with two men on each boat – were caught in what looked like a giant washing machine at the mouth of the Grey River's notorious bar.

The Grey was in full flood after recent torrential rain and as the flood waters surged out to sea, they ran into the huge, storm-tossed waves from the Tasman Sea.

One crewman was busy taking photos, until he saw what was about to hit his trawler; the enormous waves seem to engulf the boat.

Then the surge spat the boat out and shunted it almost 180 degrees, but it takes a lot to excite a southern fisherman.

“The only thing about that was the big run in the river,” says Ray Haywood. “If you've got 10 knots of water running at you and the boat will only do eight knots you just don't go forward at all.”

They are called pressure waves and are caused buy a flooded river surging out into a disturbed ocean.

The skippers of the two boats have both negotiated the treacherous bar before, but never with so much water.

“They were quite steep at times, you get that flow coming out of the river and the waves coming together you get the up lifts of the waves a bit,” says the boat’s skipper Wayne Corbin.

“It was going sideways a few times coming in, it just seemed to be taking forever to get across,” says crewman David Haywood. “I think we might have been doing like half a knot.”

The Auckland Coastguard says the skippers correctly rode the waves, avoiding being hit side on.

But they were very lucky to have made it safely.

The Grey River bar is one of the most dangerous on the coast, even though it has been 10 years since two Southland fishermen drowned when the Koromiko flipped.

There are no laws, but the Port of Greymouth advises that if a blue light at the breakwater is flashing, conditions are dangerous and only the most skilled skippers should consider crossing.

The light was flashing today.

“We thought, ‘we'll give her a try anyhow and see how it goes’, and once you're committed you more of less got to keep going,” David Haywood says.

Onboard, a crewman captured the action.

“If I had a stubbie in my hand I would have just about busted it,” says Scott Mennell.

The bar is constantly moving and can be found anywhere from half a nautical mile from the breakwaters; both boats had spent a week fishing their way up the coast from Riverton and both skippers say they were eager to get onto dry land so decided to give it a go.

Luckily for them and their crew, that decision wasn't their last.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Greymouth-bar...#ixzz2FDLKxwyP
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

and the skippers got a slap on the risk

Skipper in hot water for risky manoeuvre | Stuff.co.nz

Quote:
Skipper in hot water for risky manoeuvre
FRANCES WILKINSON
Last updated 05:00 27/06/2011

Maritime New Zealand has taken action against two Riverton skippers who crossed the Greymouth bar in rough conditions in January.

The skippers have been issued with improvement notices under the Health and Safety in Employment Act, which requires them to develop alternative plans on how to get their catch safely to shore in the future.

The skippers crossed the bar to get into port at Greymouth. The bar is notorious for the danger it poses when the Grey River is in flood.

A blue flashing light at the breakwater warned them the harbour supervisor thought the bar was too dangerous to cross, but there are no regulations to stop boaties crossing the bar in bad conditions if they want to.

MNZ spokesman Ross Henderson said the improvement notices issued acted as a warning.

"Failure to comply with the improvement notice is an offence, which can result in further regulatory action, such as the issuing of an infringement notice or a prosecution."

Skipper David Haywood, who received the improvement notice, said he had to prove to MNZ he would handle the situation differently if the Greymouth bar was in flood.

Possible diversion to Westport and contacting reliable fisherman to check the conditions before crossing, were some of the things he had implemented, he said.

Those changes had also been made to the manual on board their boat, he said.

Conditions were hard to tell when crossing the bar in January and Mr Haywood said he would implement those safety checks before making a decision next time.

He said, MNZ had probably used their case as a warning and example to other fisherman who crossed the bar in flood.

However, Former Westport harbourmaster captain David Barnes said MNZ had not gone far enough and that they should have prosecuted the skippers. He was also critical of the skippers.

Mr Barnes said MNZ had chosen an inappropriate means to take action on the incident, which showed a degradation of their statutory responsibility.

Under the Maritime Safety Act "MNZ had a duty to take a prosecution", he said.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Another clip here
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update. I received it as an email and didn't check that out. The entrance to the Columbia river is a lot like that. I updated my original post. Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 12-16-2012, 13:33   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

A frightening reminder how powerful the sea can be .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Hunting & Fishing