WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Motorcycles & More
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Motorcycles & More Here you will find discussion of all types of Motorcycles, ATV's and other Outdoor Recreational products...

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56   #1 (permalink)
DJT

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?

Now I’m baffled. I broke down yesterday on my way to base to stand duty. After pushing it up to the corner where I could get up on the sidewalk and out of the way of traffic I realized that there was a quickly growing puddle of fuel under the bike. Not having many tools with me I had no choice but to get it towed home. This morning before I came in for duty I spent what little time I had between church and leaving for work checking it out. I took the air cleaner off and poked around looking for obvious signs, such as a bad hose or something. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I saw was that the bottom of the carb throat was wet with fuel, seeing this I thought maybe the needle or float were stuck causing the fuel to just flow out of the carb. I reached in with my fingers and manually moved it up and down a few times; seemed okay. So I put some fuel in the tank (as it all leaked out) and watched and waited. Nothing, not a drop. So I attempted to start the bike, started with very little effort. So I let it warm up for a bit to get to NOT. Still nothing, so it must have been the needle or float. So I started to put the air filter housing back on (burning myself pretty good a few times), got everything hooked up, no problems. Then I went to put the air filter in and it died. So I took it off and started it, no prob. so I went to put the filter on and the second the filter was a half an inch from its seat the engine almost died. I pulled the filter away, came right back. Did this a few more times. So now I’m thinking the filter is blocking a vacuum line or something. It is a 3 month old K&N. Not the least bit dirty. So I inspected the area where the filter makes contact with the housing, nothing in the crevice for it to block. So I put my finger over every hole for the various hoses and it made a difference but nowhere near as much. I even covered the carb throat aprox 90% with my hand and it didn’t have nearly the same effect. The best way I can describe it is that it’s like trying to put 2 magnets together with the same polarity. I don’t even need to touch the bike with the filter and it almost dies. Not only that, but the filter is kind of like one of those old school O shaped ones. The ones that ore a big hole, so there is no way that it is restricting any airflow. The air is not forced through the filter until the cover is placed over it.
DJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?

Your scaring it with the filter lol. Is the bike a single cylinder. What sort of bike is it. To be honset I'm not sure what is going on but knowing a bit about the bike might help to figure something out.
Some of the carbs have a push pull slide that is directly attached to the throttle cable and some have a slide that is a vacume operated variable slide. If it is the vacume one then there are a few things that can make them play up from a hole in the diaphragm above the slide to blocked vacume orifice on the filter side of the carb.

That doesnt explain fuel dripping from the carb though as that would surely be a dirty needle valve which could have cleared.
Old 03-24-2013, 15:33   #3 (permalink)
DJT

Re: WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?

I feel like an idiot, trying to put that much detail in my description and not include anything about the bike. 1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. I covered and messed with every vacuum line on that side of the bike with little to no results. Nothing made it completely stall like the “scary” filter that I have had on there for about 600 miles or so. The fuel leaking was the needle, figured that one out in about 5 minutes of actually looking at it. That’s taken care of. Keep in mind the air is not even forced to go through the filter unless the cover is on, which I did not have on while this is going on. The only other symptom that has been happening is it has been a little harder to start lately, but started and ran every day reliably with no issues till now. Thanks!
DJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Motorcycles & More