Ford Forums banner

Engine pre oiler

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Took my son in law to pick up his new (re-manufactured) engine today and they were trying to rent him an engine pre-oiler. Ever hear of one? It was like a 30lb freon tank with a lid that unscrewed in the center where you would pour the oil, had hoses that connected to the block and a compressed air inlet. I told them that I would use a speed handle and a socket instead. They said huh, never heard of that.

#10 ·
You can screw the input into an oil pressure sensor standard 1/8" NPT hole to pressurize the motor up. We had one in the parts store but it never got rented the whole 3 years I was there. Nice but unneeded.

The standard rental fee now often is the price of the tool in case renter does not bring it back, when you do you often get back 100% or you rented it for free, provided it was not damaged in use and where all the arguments began. I hated renting tools, most users were utter butchers then they lied when they brought tools back broken. I had so many gear and sprocket pullers come back first time new tool used and broken it was not even funny, could not count them. People stupidly assume that renting means they can abuse it all they want then they start bawling when you tell them they have to pay for a broken tool. The store chain hoping there the customer likes the tool so much he keeps it but unlikely with the condition most of them were in. I thought the 'free tool rental' was a money losing program but where they have been forced to go just like the so-called 'lifetime warranty' on cheap Chinese parts that would not have been listed as one year warranty back in the old days. Why you routinely have 30%-40% of like rebuilt alternators that don't last a week now.

I use distributor drive tools to prime as well but can't do that on modern engines that drive the pump say off front of crank. Cranking the engine alone can damage them too if you do not have the pump pre-primed to make pressure virtually instantly. I've seen race cams destroyed when someone put pump on dry and then cranked thinking it would be fine. Lots of spring pressure can scar the lobes in only a few seconds if you are unlucky that day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.