WDS Repair - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-16, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

WDS Repair

I'm looking to repair my WDS. Specifically the touch screen is occasionally inop. So any reference material on construction, operation and diagnosis or parts blow-up of the GenRad 3500 series computer will help. Has anybody done a deep dive into their WDS? I saw some older comments on the Jaguar Forum where they installed different hard drives and added RAM. I only want to go after the touch screen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-16, 07:06 PM

I wish there was more help out there. The company that used to service ours stopped a long time ago. At that point we sold out last WDS. Not sure how much you use it but maybe a used IDS or even a new one is a much better option.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-16, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: WDS Repair

Actually I don't use my WDS much at all any more. It is more of a computer collector's item than anything. It is slow and prone to crash. It is interesting to me because it is running a rare operating system OS2, which was the IBM answer to business software. It will run both PC and MAC software (advertised) from the late 90s. I like the digital lab scope function. Although most experts will say it's too slow, it works for me to see a wave form of a PCM controlled alternator or the waste spark firing spike like an old oscilloscope. I also like the COP test setup. There I can test the function of coils (one at a time) on an engine to pick up RF interference causing other weird symptoms like headlamps inop. on a CV-P71 or speaker buzz on a Taurus. The best function of a WDS is the ability to graph/read the live data stream on as many PIDs as you want. But it is seriously dated I know. Like any computer system of the time it was obsoleted by the time it was fully developed and released to the service world. I introduced the WDS to the Asia Pacific Market in 1989. So I have a typically worn used unit I bought off EBay, where the battery is bad and the touch screen is quite often non-functional. The PSU will soon fail as the fans already have. I know the GenRad 3500 was a fairly common computer in Europe although rare here in the US, so somewhere out there is a service manual with all the answers to my questions. There are a lot of secrets behind the WDS and the information is getting harder to find. I just have to keep asking. Thanks for your input.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-16, 02:37 AM
Moderators

Was this the same Jag forum link you checked ? Hope it helps .

Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

This is for sale after being recently imported from the States

Jaguar Land Rover WDS Factory Diagnostic System | Queenstown | Gumtree South Africa | 123227141

Never, never, never give up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-16, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfse71 View Post
Actually I don't use my WDS much at all any more. It is more of a computer collector's item than anything. It is slow and prone to crash. It is interesting to me because it is running a rare operating system OS2, which was the IBM answer to business software. It will run both PC and MAC software (advertised) from the late 90s. I like the digital lab scope function. Although most experts will say it's too slow, it works for me to see a wave form of a PCM controlled alternator or the waste spark firing spike like an old oscilloscope. I also like the COP test setup. There I can test the function of coils (one at a time) on an engine to pick up RF interference causing other weird symptoms like headlamps inop. on a CV-P71 or speaker buzz on a Taurus. The best function of a WDS is the ability to graph/read the live data stream on as many PIDs as you want. But it is seriously dated I know. Like any computer system of the time it was obsoleted by the time it was fully developed and released to the service world. I introduced the WDS to the Asia Pacific Market in 1989. So I have a typically worn used unit I bought off EBay, where the battery is bad and the touch screen is quite often non-functional. The PSU will soon fail as the fans already have. I know the GenRad 3500 was a fairly common computer in Europe although rare here in the US, so somewhere out there is a service manual with all the answers to my questions. There are a lot of secrets behind the WDS and the information is getting harder to find. I just have to keep asking. Thanks for your input.

An IDS and VMM setup will do all of that and do it better. For Nostalgia. It is cool but if you actually use it just replace it. The cost to fix you can get a IDS and VMM. Don't mean to sound like a broken record.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-16, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

First off I have a confession. I was wrong. I said WDS is " running a rare operating system OS2" Not so. I was confusing WDS with big brother SBDS. SBDS runs OS2, while WDS runs windows 98. My mistake so don't quote me.

#r-clar - I am not using my WDS professionally (anymore). I just use it on my own vehicles and friends vehicles that it will recognize. As for the problems with my WDS there are work arounds; bad battery - keep it plugged it, touch screen inop - use a mouse, won't boot - try it again. To go to an IDS / VDM you are talking over $800 to $1500 plus a subscription. I just don't need it. I am simply looking for documentation for my GDS 3500 to better understand it. I will probably open it up just to check the connections for corrosion and have a quick tour. It would be nice to have all the insider information on it if I could.

#R.S.Logan - Yes the Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum is the first place I checked. There I found a lot of information on the WDS and modifications some Jag owners have done. I was asking here because Ford guys had WDS, although it wasn't very popular. NGS was an easier/faster tool. Most WDS just sat in the shop gathering dust much like mine does, unloved and unwanted. " ... that thing is so old and dirty ... let's get it out of here ..." Jaguar owners seem to have embraced the WDS whole heartedly because it works for them. Some Lincolns like WDS too for the same reasons.

Computer forums don't seem to know about the GDS 3500, or they won't admit it. I have a collection of vintage computers like the Monorail and the G3 Clamshell. Why you may ask? To that I say it's like collecting any old obsoleted artifact, why not?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-16, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

I did use my WDS today on a 2003 SVT Focus running really bad. Long story short it was a stuck cam actuator (advanced) and secondary ignition. WDS couldn't flow the injectors, but when It locked up on ignition testing it was a eureka moment. We cleaned up the waste spark coil and tossed in a set of plugs. Now it purrs like a sewing machine on steroids. I had to reboot several times using the 2 finger salute to get it to see the mouse, but it finally came around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Tools & Shop Talk