Mayweather fight . - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Sports
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 02:45   #1 (permalink)
Moderators

Mayweather fight .

Turned out to be a disappointment and controversial fight .

Mayweather vs. Ortiz - Fight recap | CraveOnline

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...pro&id=8359100
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 00:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mayweather fight .

Floyd escaped another one here. Something tells me he is either a fan favorite amongst the judges, or he is buying them. Either way, something doesn't smell right here!

As much as I hate to say it, this is the reason fight fans are turning their attention to the UFC and MMA. I'm an old school boxing fan, but can't even remember the last great boxing match I have seen. With all due respect to the lightweights and strawweights, I would not pay to watch them. I still remember the good ole days when Iron Mike Tyson was sending his opponents to the ER in under a minute! Not only was he great for ratings and redefined the words PPV, but he was also the greatest fighter of this century bar none. If we are talking pure fundamentals, then it would of course have to go to the KO Brothers and Lewis. But as far as sheer brute force and will, that would have to be Iron Mike. James Toney was another big guy in the game. Knocked out Holyfield not once, but twice! He then got a little bit too cocky and went over to the UFC, where MMA legend and star Randy Couture knocked some sense into him. You can NEVER cross fields. Its a whole different battlefield. In boxing, its just punching, in MMA, its EVERYTHING!

Boxing also does not have the backing as the UFC does financially. They can't even compete with the mixed martial art giant. The sad thing is that no one today can even name you the current heavyweight champ. They say its some Russian guy right or Holyfield. Holyfield! The man has been retired for years. But, that just goes to show you the state of where boxing is at today. I miss the old days with all the entertaining stars like Tyson, Holyfield, Gatti vs Ward epics, Roy Jones (in his heyday), Mayorga, Trinidad, De La Hoya and even Hopkins. Its always about the money, and until boxing can be a more lucrative sport again, the UFC will reign tall for many years to come.
puretorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:42   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Mayweather fight .

Got to disagee with you on Tyson being the greatest fighter of the century .Great fighter but Muhammad Ali was miles better as was Rocky Marciano , Archie Moore , Joe Frazier , Joe Louis even Floyd Patterson to name a few . Tyson went downhill when Gus D'Amato died and wasn't there to look after him and guide him .Agree with you on the corruption in the fight game with some decisions .Sonny Liston with his connections to the mob and the fights with Ali , the fight with Henry Cooper where the glove was cut to give him more time to recover spring to mind . Watching the Klitschko bros would send you to sleep and must put people of paying to see that type of " fight " . Seen some great fights at lower weights from the likes of Marvin Hagler ,Tommy Hearns ,Sugar Ray Leanord , Roberto Duran .Also think our own Ken Buchanan who lost in the Garden under controversial circumstances to Duran was a great fighter and earned his induction to the International Boxing Hall of Fame. But it's all about opinions .No doubt about it , without some new exciting , controversial fighters to liven up the fight scene it's going down the tubes . I can remember when I was a kid , my father staying up to listen to the radio for the Rocky Marciano V Don Cockell ( British Champion ) fight for the world championship May 16th 1955. Marciano won the fight by a tko in round nine , probably when my interest in boxing started .
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic > Sports

« L.A Lakers | NFL »