How-to: Fix 04 ZTS, 2.3 auto trans - P0767 code problem. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Do it Yourself - How-To > .
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 21:40   #1 (permalink)

Read How-to: Fix 04 ZTS, 2.3 auto trans - P0767 code problem.

This fix was to solely verify if the intermediate band was broken, preventing 2nd and 4th gear from operating. I could have done many more things while I was in there, but I just had no more time. If it was broken I needed to change it out. If it was not broken, time to pull the whole darn trans...

Pic 6 is the broken band, it was indeed the problem. The process below took about an hour and a half.

To remove:

- Disconnect Battery and remove it ( 10mm nuts)
- Three bolts on the battery tray. Two in the bottom and one on the firewall side. Remove all three and take out the tray.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the driver side tire
- Jack up that car high enough to get the driver side tire off the ground and you can get under the car to remove the lower mount bolt. Put a jack stand under the driver side now too.
- Remove the driver side tire
- Remove the driver side wheel well cover. A number of plastic screw inserts that you slowly unscrew the head, then grab with pliers and pull straight out. The front bottom of the well cover has one bolt, and one real screw too.
- Remove the single - horizontal bolt in the lower trans mount. See pic 4.
- put a jack under the engine/trans to hold it from dropping.
- remove the 5 nuts under where the battery box was that are all part of the top engine mount plate. - see pic 3

Now, lower the jack and the engine/trans will drop about an inch and a half on the driver side. Looking in through the driver wheelwell you will see the end cover on the transmission - see pic 1

- remove the trans cooler line from the front of the end plate (17mm)
- remove the bolts from the end plate. I had to remove the very top one with a closed-end wrench reaching down from the top. All the others I could get to with a short socket.
- put a drain pan under the end of the trans ( very little will drain though)
- pry the trans end plate straight out, pulling out the bottom at an angle and then dropping it down..

You can then see the Reverse Cluth Drum and the Intermediate/Overdrive Band goes around it. Looking through the wheelwell, the upper left of the housing ( about 11 oclock) there is a bolt coming down through the top of the housing that makes contact with the upper end of the band. Unscrew that bolt a number of turns to release the upper band end. Pic 2 shows the drum after I removed the band.

The band will then pull straight out towards you.

Put the new band in and screw the anchor bolt back down ( pic 5)

Reverse this order to button back up. ( cover back on, trans cooler line, etc.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lower_mount-1.jpg (109.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg end_cap_on-1.jpg (79.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg open_end-1.jpg (65.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg top_mount_on-1.jpg (79.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg new_band_in_1.jpg (109.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg broke_band-1.jpg (84.7 KB, 8 views)
04-zts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Do it Yourself - How-To > .