How-to: Remove altenator for 03 ztw 2.3l - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Do it Yourself - How-To > .
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25   #1 (permalink)

Read How-to: Remove altenator for 03 ztw 2.3l

changed my altenator the other day. I couldnt find the instructions for the particular model online. some people said to go thru the wheel well to get the bolts on the altenator. the wheel well on my car is solid steel from the hood all the way down. Someone said you could get thru the fire wall to get the bolts. that wasnt going to work either. so ill share what i did right , wrong or indfferent:)

dissconnect the negative terminal

remove coolant resevoir, flip it out of the way

do the same thing with power steering resevoir

put a floor jack under the oil pan with a piece of wood in between (to give a biger lifting surface) then just raise jack enough to support a little bit of engine weight

remove all the bolts for the passenger side motor mount. raise engine a little and rock/ pry the motor mount off.

raise the engine high enough to get the belt tensioner. depress tensioner and slide the belt clear of the idler pully.

********* right here i had a set back. because the engine was jacked so high i couldnt clear the belt between the harmonic balancer, and the wheel well (i had a new belt to put on) so i had to lower the engine back down to get the needed clearence to remove the belt. then jack it back up a bit.

I believe in spending a little more time to make room so u can work comfortably. So I removed the evap canister, and bent the passenger side line out of the way. Be careful with the retaining clips. I broke one and and am having a bitc* of a time finding another one. I dissconnected the fuel rail feed line and bent it out of the way as well. be careful with that retaining clip too.

now from the top of the engine, remove the 2 nuts, and the stud for the altenator. the stud is a 1/4" 12pt

****** the bottom altenator bolts. this took me a while to figure out, and i couldnt find this technique on line. Make sure you have engine with good safe supports before you do this. I had a huge wooden block under the engine "backing up" my floor jack.
crawl head first on your back, from in front of the car towards the back, in betwwen your jack and the passenger side wheel. look for where the lower control arm meets with the frame. right around that just above, there is barely access where u can fit in your left hand only, and a wrench. remove the two 2 nuts, stud, and bolt for the lower part of the altenator. I highly recommend spraying the bolts with pb blaster, and letting it set cuz they are really tight, and its tough to get leverage to loosen them.

go back to the top of the engine. **Heres another little thing i overlooked that caused a hassel. one of the altenator wires goes thru a metal keeper thats bolted on the block. Its located right next to the tensioner i think. find it and remove it cuz u need the slack in the wire to fully remove the altenator.

Now the funnest part LOL
I had to have my wife come over and help. I had get the engine moved forward towards the radiator to get a little more room. Its pretty tight. SO I got a long pipe. I caught the end on one of the grooves on the block and pryed against the part of the wheel well what is rounded for the strut, to get a little more clearence, while my wife pulled the altenator out. Shes a good sport:) but be careful here too cuz the pipe can slip free and go flying and hit the other person.

hope this can help other ztw owners. there may be a better wayout there but i figured id share the way i did it.
takenoprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 05:11   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Advice for removing altenator for 2003 ford focus ztw 2.3l

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:06   #3 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

Indeed^.

Would you like if I added this to our DIY section of the forum?

I'll have to make a little change to the title, but I think that's it.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 13:45   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzx3 View Post
Indeed^.

Would you like if I added this to our DIY section of the forum?

I'll have to make a little change to the title, but I think that's it.

sure that would be geat. hopefully google, and yahoo webcrawlers will find it, and index it so it will come up on the search engines to help others.
takenoprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Do it Yourself - How-To > .