NHTSA issues final ruling for mandatory backup cameras in new cars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Non-Ford Section > General Discussion (Non-Ford)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 11:48   #1 (permalink)
Moderators

NHTSA issues final ruling for mandatory backup cameras in new cars

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued its final ruling regarding backup cameras in light vehicles, requiring manufacturers to implement the safety systems on a wider scale by 2018.

The mandatory implementations must have a field of view at least 10 by 20 feet, while meeting other requirements related to image size, linger time, response time, durability and deactivation.

The agency claims there are an average of 210 fatalities and 15,000 injuries each year due to backover crashes, with more than half of the victims either under age five or over 70.

"Safety is our highest priority, and we are committed to protecting the most vulnerable victims of backover accidents -- our children and seniors," said US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.

The technology has already been embraced by manufacturers, though it typically remains an option on higher trim levels. Studies have shown that approximately 77 percent of all vehicles sold in the US in 2013 were equipped with a backup camera.

The agency expects the technology to save between 58 and 69 lives each year once it is installed on the entire on-road vehicle fleet, a goal which will likely take decades to reach.

The proposed regulations have been controversial since the Department of Transportation was first given the responsibility to create such laws in 2007. The agency was finally sued in 2013 due to its lack of action on the issue. Speculation suggests costs may have been a factor, as camera and display equipment is expected to add between $58 to $203 per vehicle -- or approximately $18 million per life theoretically saved.

"NHTSA took time on this regulation to ensure that the policy was right and make the rule flexible and achievable," the agency noted.

The new laws will take effect on May 1, 2018, for any vehicle under 10,000 pounds.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: NHTSA issues final ruling for mandatory backup cameras in new cars

While safety is important our governments are raising the cost of vehicles and putting more Blame on manufacturers and less personal responsibility. I always use my mirrors and am aware if my surroundings. While I do like backup cameras, airbags,abs,traction control, and all the other forced safety equipment it is causing prices to follow. They should be options that if you want it will cost. If you don't then you can save a few bucks. Just my .02

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 18:26   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I keep saying, the more crap they put in, the more I like my old truck.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:29   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Reverse-view camera standard on all Lexus models .

Lexus to offer reverse-view camera standard on all models | CarAdvice
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

" I keep saying, the more crap they put in "

We in the " Wise Guys Club " appreciate all the help / crap we can get in driving nowadays !!!! In my earlier days wing mirrors were an optional extra on cars and many only had the interior mirror .Reversing meant throwing your arm over passenger seat and looking out rear / side windows . On reversing on ramps etc, opening drivers door and sticking head out .Still use that method today though not so easy to twist round !! That's the worse about being a dinosaur .
Old 04-01-2014, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Oh, I agree on the help part, but I still think there's too many distractions in the car. My van has the back up alert system that USUALLY beeps when I'm getting close to something. Appreciated as I have no back glass. However, I watched my daughter almost side swipe a rock wall by paying too much attention to the camera and not enough to what the car was doing. I know that you can't rely solely on the electronic gizmos, but, unfortunately, a lot of the younger generation do.
Old 04-01-2014, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

My daughter side swiped my wife's car from front to back. Looking at a screen like it gives 360 view. We all need to get back to basics. If you can't drive without the gadgets then we shouldn't drive. I do agree they are nice. I love the camera I put in my last truck for hooking up trailer. But I wired it to an up fitter switch to only work when I want. To much a camera, sensor doesn't see.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:41   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

On mirrors ,

Tesla, Alliance behind lobbying push to ditch side mirrors.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...-side-mirrors#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Non-Ford Section > General Discussion (Non-Ford)