Ford Forums banner

$250 Tyre

4K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  chich 
#1 ·
I have a TL50 with 245/40/18 and was wondering what good tyres I could get for around $250.

Although I can get Dunlop SP9000 for $458, I'm not willing to pay for them with all the complaints I've heard(got a mate at the local dealership), nor the astronomical figure of $596 for Continentals.

A dealer recommended GT Radials as there is not much road noise and get 30 - 40 thou kms for $175 each.

I like Falkens as I have used them on previous cars and have had no problems, although on my last car (VQ Statesman), wife put on Hankooks which were wearing great but didnt handle too well.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

#2 ·
Napoleon said:
I have a TL50 with 245/40/18 and was wondering what good tyres I could get for around $250.

Although I can get Dunlop SP9000 for $458, I'm not willing to pay for them with all the complaints I've heard(got a mate at the local dealership), nor the astronomical figure of $596 for Continentals.

A dealer recommended GT Radials as there is not much road noise and get 30 - 40 thou kms for $175 each.

I like Falkens as I have used them on previous cars and have had no problems, although on my last car (VQ Statesman), wife put on Hankooks which were wearing great but didnt handle too well.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
GT radials for $175 sound pretty good. I paid $250 for Sumitomo HTRZII,s about 18 months ago, a good tyre IMHO, would be cheaper now I reckon.

#3 ·
I bought 4 tyres yesterday and payed $400 for 4
Drove past a tyre shop and asked hey got any good deals on 18 inch tyres showed me what he had picked out what i wanted.
They have 99% tread
I dont travel at over 200 k's an hour and i aint payin $1800.00 for a set of tyres.So im happy at payin $400.00 a set.
they will get me there the same as the $1800.00 set and just as fast :hy:
I dont understand why the big difference especially the dunlops when they only do 20k's and at almost 500 each stupidity in my book

#4 ·
Napoleon said:

Any thoughts?

Cheers
After testing a couple of them i cant go past Hankook Ventus. They are the best money valued tyre i have found

#7 ·
hey guys, i just bought a set (4) of toyo f4's (245 40 18) from lewis in geelong.i paid $290 each and was really happy with the way i was treated. they didn't try to sell me crap. you wouldn't believe how quiet they are on the road. i thought that my sp9000's were quiet but these things are silent compared to them. i was quoted $500 each for the sp 9000's (from another tyre retailer) which is unbelievable.they're good but for that money they would have to have solid gold valves in them. i'll let you know how they wear in the future.

#8 ·
Hi all, the pick of them all would be the Hankook Ventus k104 tyre, they are around the money you want to spend and are one of the best wet and dry weather tyres i have driven on. Hankook also have a road hazard warranty(any damage,not through mechanical fault) on this tyre,they will replace it within 25% worn of the original tread depth and within 1 year of the purchase date. Your Hankook dealer should know of this offer and it is free of charge.

#9 ·
GTP-330 said:
After testing a couple of them i cant go past Hankook Ventus. They are the best money valued tyre i have found
Of all the research and checking ive done im getting Hankook 104's next week too, they seem like a great tyre for $250 and everyone i know who's used them love them!

#10 ·
No such thing as a good 18 inch tyre for $200.Be prepared to pay $400-$500 for a GOOD tyre.There are plenty of CHEAP tyres and what people call"value for money"
Spend the money,they might save your life and you will enjoy driving your car much more.
Cheers Fox.

#11 ·
Hankook Ventus - fine with me. I picked up a set at $180ea, although they had been rated. Tread 99%. Don't seen to grip quiet as well as the Dunlop's, they break traction a little more as they are a much harder compound. But I don't plan on winning any races so it doesn't bother me. I'd rather pay $180 ea for something that lasts twice as long as the $480 Dunlops. Hmmm a saving of $1200 leaves me with more too spend on go-fast bits!!!

#12 ·
Pursuit_290 said:
Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Potenza S03 at all??
I've had two sets of S02s and they've been fantastic. I'll be upgrading to SO3's just before winter really kicks in so I can have a brand new set of tyres when the roads become wet and slippery. The 3's were designed for heavy cars so they'll offer good ride and stability for cars like our Farcons. My mate has a set on his rex and they just grip, grip and grip. The 3's are substancially cheaper than the SO2s too... $330 ea for 235/45/17. I paid $480 ea for my S02s!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.