Ford Forums banner

78 bronco with ford 360

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kdtrucker 
#1 ·
i am restoring a 78 Bronco ranger xlt. it has a ford 360 engine in it currently. its in good condition, but have considered uping it to a 400 or larger. but may just tear it down and rebuild it. before i can do it, can anyone tell me how to tell if it is a cleveland or windsor? or if it even matters on 360s? been googling it and all it talks about is 302 or 351.
thanks guys. i bought this for my wife and i to learn about vehicles and just to have a good time. been great so far. running down the road well. but plenty to do.
thanks
Michael

#6 ·
Yup! This should be moved to the FE section! The 352 at one point had 10.2 and 9.6 c/r. Your 360(or maybe it's a 361) probably is an 8.5 C/r engine wich is probably fine with the crappy gas we have today. Probably a 360 could be built up but 390s are easier to up the cubes/hp.

#3 ·
As an added piece of info, the 360 is similar to the 390, but has heavier bearings, better lower end torque, but less high end horsepower. It's an excellent engine for hard work or four wheeling in rugged terrain. It's a bull of an engine and I wish I had the one that was in my 72. We dropped to 30 below one winter, and I spent the morning jumping a whole slew of cars to get them going, including a late model Bow-tie owned by a guy that used to give me all kinds of crap over my old beater... before that day. :hy:

#4 ·
Heavier bearings!?!?! Better low end torque!?!?! Wow! First off its a transplant. Ford stopped all Fees is early to mid '76. Second, the difference is a small bit of stroke. Third all parts interchange. Also, anything a 360 does, a 390 will do BETTER!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Milestone X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
The 390 was designed for Horsepower on the cars, the 360 was designed for the work trucks. If you want you go very fast, drop in the 390. If you want a work horse, go with the 360. the 360's were primarily a truck engine and the 390 was in both car and truck. Due to design, most pullers and haulers prefer the 360 over the 390, stock they took much more punishment. However, I'll agree with you whole heartedly that if you want a faster engine, the 390 is for you. If you want to go into the hills over rock etc., get a 360.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.