Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars - View Single Post - 2011 TC XLT burning smell from under the hood
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-18, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
ST_XLT

So I’ve finished replacing the cylinder head temp sensor & fan speed resistor on the TC and here are the updates. I ran the vehicle with hazards on, high beams on, AC on recirculating main vents on “4” (high), front and rear defrosters on, windshield wipers on just to stress test the vehicle for about 20 minutes with no overheating issues and the fan kicking on every minute or so to keep the engine cool. I’m going to run it for another few hours at my current setting (3/4 heat, and notch “1” (low interior fan speed, good for working in the back of the van) to see if it still smells like burning / shows fresh oil near the gasket.

Update:
I ran it for about 4 hours total, and the only smell I smelled was the engine degreaser burning off. I actually turned off the heat after one hour, and still nothing burned. I checked around the seal and no oil formed. I have to make a 250 miles run at the end of this week, so I’ll see what happens during that. Thanks again for all your help!

2013 Ford Focus ST 113k
2011 Ford Transit Connect 122k

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome