Ford Forums banner

A bit more kick

28K views 220 replies 19 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
Hey guys just looking to get your thoughts on a cheap combo for the EFI 302, mostly I wanted to see what the rest of you have done(ie what hardware) and what gains you have made.

I was thinking along the lines of Explorer manifolds, GT40p's, Cam, Roller Rockers, TB amd MAF and maybe bump up compression a bit, port the heads and manifold I will also be using a HE Sump.

It made 125rwkw stock with exhaust and manual, I am hoping for 160/170 rwkw, do you think it's a realistic proposition with those parts.

What Cams are you all using btw?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

#4 ·
The crane 2031 or 2030 seem to be a popular choice at the moment. With GT40P's, roller rockers, Explorer intake, 70+mm MAF and 65mm TB you should get around 150-160rwkw. Port the heads and intake a bit and you will get another 10-20rwkw, but you will be pushing the stock injectors at that point.

#5 ·
I'm waiting for my ute. Should have it back tomorrow :) :) :)

As my sig reads i have gt40p's (ported), explorer intake (stock), pacemakers, 3 inch, Auto (less rwkw) and i make 137rwkw. Now that the engine is apart it turns out i had very poor spring tention and i already knew it revved like crap and idle was less than admirable (read poor state of tune). With the cam (headwork req'd for best results), r/rockers to make it work and new springs etc i'd be a lil upset if i don't see 150's+ and once tuned i'd like to see 160's-170's or better(fingers crossed).

Better heads and inlet may follow possibly acompanied buy a stroker or s/c (prolly stroker). Close to 200 or better on the horizon if the wallet and minister of finance approve.

Why sell the Vortec??? i had one and 200rwkw+ is a bolt on afair.

#7 ·
AU2XLSV8 said:
Why sell the Vortec??? i had one and 200rwkw+ is a bolt on afair.
Cause I stacked me car, and the setup i wanted was gonna be 10K,the excess bill and the prospect of pissing of my insurance company by putting a blower on my car right after i stacked it, wasn't the best idea so i'm just gonna go for a mild rebuld... for now.

Thanks for the input guys, fingers crossed for 160rwkw and low 14's

#17 ·
OK guys here what i've got on the list so far, couple more questions

- Typhoon intake(ported)
- GT40P's(ported)
- 70mm TB
- 70mm MAF
- Crane Energizer R/R
- Crane 2030

Is anyone using the Y/T Stealth adjustable 1.72 R/R's, are they worth the extra $$?
Also will I have to buy different headers to suit the GT40P's? and will the above setup have any serious impact on low down torque levels?

Thanks in advance guys

#18 ·
a 65mm t/b will probley better suited to your combo, i feel a 70mm is a bit big for what you want, other rhan that you will get some decent pwr from that combo

#19 ·
Sounds good, but I would say away from the Typhoon intake. Firstly the casting isn't suppose to be the greatest but this could be fixed with porting anyway. The main problem is that it is based on the Edelbrock RPM intake which is designed for high rpm hp not low down torque. Have read many posts on the mustag forums by people complaining aout the loss in torque.

Also, it is worth reading http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/efimotor/index.shtml in their project car they went with the rpm but ended up going back to a performer

#26 ·
www.highperformanceworld has them for ander $914 but with freight to Adelaide it is $973.

BTW, regarding the roller rockers, I am running the YT Stealth 1.72's (non-adjustable) and they are great. Very easy to install and they seem to be good quality. If I can find some reasonably priced 1.6 ratio rockers I will be selling mine with only 5000kms on them. Have you found anywhere which do decently priced rockers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.