Oil in spark plug well, but not on electrode. Where from? - Page 5 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-05-19, 01:31 PM
Moderators

Re: Oil in spark plug well, but not on electrode. Where from?

When you check compressions with the gauge you dont run the engine , just crank it on each cyl .The gas will probably be burnt once engine started . You can always swap plug lead and see if it changes cyl # when scanned .

Never, never, never give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-05-19, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

So I pulled the other 4 plugs out. They look to be in good shape, and dry.

I will try another, or a new plug wire, on #5 to see if that is causing the roughness.
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 06:36 AM
Moderators

How old are the coil packs?

07 Gt Tungsten Grey
Roush (Airaid) Cai, GT500 Tb with BlowByRacing Adaptor Plate, UPR O/r X Pipe, M80's, Pypes Muffler Delete Axle Back, Sr Performance Adjustable Motor Mounts and Steeda Tri Ax Short Throw Shifter

02 Gt Mineral Grey
Steeda Sport Springs, 3.73s, Pro5.0 Short Shifter, Pypes O/r X Pipe, full 2.5 inch exhaust with M80's, 75mm Tb and C&L Plenum

87 Mercury Grand Marquis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm not really sure. I've had the car for ten years, and I don't recall if I've changed the coil packs. I'd have to look through my receipts to be sure, as I sometimes lose track of what I've replaced. It's possible that they are original.

I think I put in new plugs and wires when I bought the car about 10 years ago.

I know I just put in the spark plugs this past September, when I started getting the misfire on #5.
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 08:46 AM
Moderators

You might have said it in the op but not all posts are loading. Anyway how many miles are on the car? If they are original and new wires dont fix it Id look into replacing the coil packs.

07 Gt Tungsten Grey
Roush (Airaid) Cai, GT500 Tb with BlowByRacing Adaptor Plate, UPR O/r X Pipe, M80's, Pypes Muffler Delete Axle Back, Sr Performance Adjustable Motor Mounts and Steeda Tri Ax Short Throw Shifter

02 Gt Mineral Grey
Steeda Sport Springs, 3.73s, Pro5.0 Short Shifter, Pypes O/r X Pipe, full 2.5 inch exhaust with M80's, 75mm Tb and C&L Plenum

87 Mercury Grand Marquis
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Around 213,000 miles!
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, right now it is not throwing a misfire at all. Just some roughness. The misfire code was from about 2 months ago, on #5, and that's when I changed all the plugs, and started watching #5 and eventually saw it was getting wet in the plug well,
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 08:33 PM
Moderators

These cars wont throw misfire codes unless its a bad enough misfire. With those amount of miles on the stock coils it may be time to replace them, just remember to get oem coil packs and not aftermarket or “performance” coils. I still recommend getting new plug wires first though.

07 Gt Tungsten Grey

02 Gt Mineral Grey

87 Mercury Grand Marquis
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I got this error message, and had to log out and sign back in before I could post again. (Just hitting the back arrow, and refreshingthe page, did not allow me to repost. Any idea why? Do I need to change someting on my profile?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...BpNWxGdUhwUzlR
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-19, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I drove it about 10 miles today, and it was smooth again. Although, I think maybe I just didn't hear any roughness since I had the heater on fill blast for the short 5 miles each way?

I did check out autozone, and they had a set of duralast wires for about $52, which seem a fair price.

I took a short video of my exhaust when I started the car up today. It was a damp day here in Michigan, and this is what my exhaust looks like. What do you think?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...BpNWxGdUhwUzlR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71