Problem w/ intermittent defrost a/c - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-19, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Problem w/ intermittent defrost a/c

Have a '11 Crown Vic with 290k miles and I've been having a problem with the windows fogging up all the way around. The defrost seems to be working about half the time. On humid rainy days it'll work for say a half hour keeping the windows clear, then the windows will fog hard for 10-15 mins. And then it might decide to start working again, back and forth it goes. When I started it just now the compressor clutch turns when the a/c is turned on, although I haven't had a chance to observe it when the windows are fogging.

A secondary problem it has is that it only blows air through the vents on the front of the dash, straight out into the cabin. The air flows only very weak out the defrost vent at the windshield or the floor. It does this on all settings. Although this might contribute somewhat to the problem, it seems like the a/c does completely cut out as the windows will still fog hard with the a/c set to on and on full fan. When it cuts off the air in the cabin feels immediately humid. One that that helps somewhat is to turn the temp toward cooler and it seems to not fog as much and gives it a chance to maybe clear the fog some.

Any idea what's causing this or what I should do to start testing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-19, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Re: Problem w/ intermittent defrost a/c

Moved to the Crown Vic section.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-19, 05:47 PM
Moderators

How well does your ac work? Does it cut out at only wide open throttle or randomly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Gt Tungsten Grey
Roush (Airaid) Cai, GT500 Tb with BlowByRacing Adaptor Plate, UPR O/r X Pipe, M80's, Pypes Muffler Delete Axle Back, Sr Performance Adjustable Motor Mounts and Steeda Tri Ax Short Throw Shifter

02 Gt Mineral Grey
Steeda Sport Springs, 3.73s, Pro5.0 Short Shifter, Pypes O/r X Pipe, full 2.5 inch exhaust with M80's, 75mm Tb and C&L Plenum

87 Mercury Grand Marquis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-19, 06:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Sounds like your blend door isn't working, at least not properly. The fan working intermittently sounds more like a safety, your evaporator coil may be icing up.
Bert likes this.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-19, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and sorry it's been so long since posting this. Still having the same problem.

A/C works sort of intermittently like the defrost. It goes from medium cool air to slightly cool air, back and forth about once every minute or two. Doesn't seem to be effected by the throttle but I'll try to remember to test it out.

CatSkinner actually the fan works ok, it's the temp (a/c) that goes up and down, or the defrost that seems intermittent. But the fan, air movement, is ok.

Had a guy tell me earlier today that 70% of the time when you see a problem like mine it turns out to be what he called a valve inside the high pressure line that comes straight off the compressor, or condensor I forget which. Said you need a special tool to remove this valve from the line. Does this sound familiar?

And if my evap coil is icing over how could I test that out. I don't even know where the dang thing is. The cycling of the cool to slightly cool air and back again happens like I was saying about once every minute or two, so without knowing much about this I'd think that wouldn't be enough time for the coil to ice up and then thaw out. But that just my amateur 2 cents.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-19, 12:10 PM
Moderators

Problem w/ intermittent defrost a/c

The evaporator is in the dash not accesable but youll know its icing over when the ac isnt sweating as much as before and the compressor would short cycle. There is a high pressure cutoff switch on the drier (its a black cylinder on the passenger side near the firewall in the engine bay) but I doubt the switch is the culprit. At this point your best bet is to put manifold gauges on it and see where the pressure is on the low and high side.

07 Gt Tungsten Grey
Roush (Airaid) Cai, GT500 Tb with BlowByRacing Adaptor Plate, UPR O/r X Pipe, M80's, Pypes Muffler Delete Axle Back, Sr Performance Adjustable Motor Mounts and Steeda Tri Ax Short Throw Shifter

02 Gt Mineral Grey
Steeda Sport Springs, 3.73s, Pro5.0 Short Shifter, Pypes O/r X Pipe, full 2.5 inch exhaust with M80's, 75mm Tb and C&L Plenum

87 Mercury Grand Marquis
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-19, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85ltdcrownvic View Post
The evaporator is in the dash not accesable but youll know its icing over when the ac isnt sweating as much as before and the compressor would short cycle. There is a high pressure cutoff switch on the drier (its a black cylinder on the passenger side near the firewall in the engine bay) but I doubt the switch is the culprit. At this point your best bet is to put manifold gauges on it and see where the pressure is on the low and high side.
That is the low pressure switch on the receiver/drier
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-19, 06:34 AM
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
That is the low pressure switch on the receiver/drier

Hmm Im sure youre right. Thanks for correcting that.

07 Gt Tungsten Grey

02 Gt Mineral Grey

87 Mercury Grand Marquis
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-19, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna assume my problem is being caused by low refrigerant and take a shot at fixing it as cheaply as I can. But at the same time I'd like to take steps at identifying where the leak might be.

So what will this look like? Renting some gauges from the local car store and checking my refrigerant lines? How would you go about this and what readings should I be looking for?

And then if things read low I would get a can of refrigerant with leak revealing dye and put it in the system?

Sorry I'm so remedial here, first time working on an a/c system.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-19, 07:22 AM
Moderators

Try the dye first. Any leak will then be easily detectable with ultraviolet light. The system probably has some already installed from the factory, but add some to be sure (Gauges will only indicate a leak, but not where). You can then fix the leak before losing expensive refrigerant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71