95 GT not starting when warm - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-15, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

95 GT not starting when warm

I posted early about a no start after timing belt replacement, well I figured that one out. One of the washers from the timing covers fell down by the crankshaft went around the pulley took it out of time and tore the belt. After putting another new belt on I was able to get it to start, now I have another issue. When it gets warm and I shut it off it's a pain to start again. I have to hold the pedal to the floor and hope it starts. When it starts cold it idles around 2000 rpm. I replaced the temperature sensor because I thought the first issue was an overheating because the fans wouldn't come on, but after coolant started leaking out I found out the water pump went. I made sure there wasn't any air in the lines when I added new coolant. I did notice that if I unplug the temp sensor when it's warm it will start right up but both fans will run at all times. Could the temp sensor be bad right out of the box? Any help would be great this thing is turning into a time and money pit. I did save the old sensor and will try that tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-15, 07:48 PM
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 95 GT not starting when warm

Did you replace the sensor and it still does the same thing? Have you checked for codes?

Bert
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-15, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

I did replace the sensor, because at first I thought the fans wouldn't come on because the sensor was bad. I tried to put the old one in but the top end of it broke off (must have been the original). I don't get any codes either. I read that the fans should come one when the jumper is plugged in, but they don't come on. When I pull the plug off the sensor both fans come on. It's the only way the car can be driving is having it unplugged. If I leave it plugged in the car won't start after it is warmed up. This PGT only have 60,000 original miles on it. It's actually my sons car and it's driving me nuts, because he wants to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-15, 08:31 PM
2002 F150 XLT

Check the sensor per this. http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f80cb0e9e

Bert
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-15, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I will give that a try and report back....Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-15, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I just found time to test it. its tested good. I'm totally lost on this. Not sure what to look at next. If i leave it plugged in and start it cold it will idle at 2000 rpm. if i unplug it it will idle good but the fans run. when i do start it cold with the temp sensor plugged in it's hard to start because it get to much fuel the plugs get soaked with fuel. Any help would be great.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-15, 06:34 PM
Dazed and Confused

Captain obvious moment: the car thinks it's very cold. If the resistance is correct, then either the PCM is not picking it up right or you not getting a decent reference voltage to the sensor. You should be getting the same voltage supplied to it as the air intake sensor.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-15, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Does the PCM also control the (auto) transmission? Now we have a shifting problem on this car.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

confused Re: 95 GT not starting when warm

Changed the PCM but still have the same issue. Does anyone know where to go from here? I even tried another coolant temp sensor. What is the single wire sensor behind the CTS? I'm lost on this issue.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 12:19 PM
2002 F150 XLT

Read this. OBD-1 codes and OBD-2 codes - ProbeTalk.com Forums

Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum