Falcon's police role could go global - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
The Pub For General Discussion. No vehicle questions will be answered in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Turbo MAN

Falcon's police role could go global

Falcon's police role could go global
By Bob Jennings
The Sun-Herald
Monday June 9 2003

Australia's Ford Falcon could replace police cars in the US. Bob Jennings reports.
There is growing pressure on police departments in the US to replace the Ford Crown Victoria -- and this could create an opportunity for Ford Australia.

The Crown Victoria has been the centre of a safety controversy in recent months, but there are few suitable V8 front-engine, rear-drive replacements in the US Ford line-up.

Jeff Schuster, the director of North American forecasting for industry research and marketing firm JD Power and Associates, says the Ford Falcon could well be the perfect replacement for the ageing Crown Victoria.

The Falcon's mechanical underpinnings could serve as a replacement police car and in the next five years could be built at Ford's plant in St Thomas, Canada, he said.

The Crown Victoria is under scrutiny after a series of rear-end collisions that resulted in petrol tank leaks and fires and the deaths of several police officers.

advertisement

advertisement
Ford in Australia, however, has thrown cold water on the plan.

"There are no export plans," a spokeswoman said.

Meanwhile, Acid Rush, Hot House and Red Hot are not terms you'd expect to hear when referring to the average highway patrol car.

But these are the colours of the bright yellow, bright green and red police cars that will be on the roads around the NSW snowfields from now until the end of the October school holidays.

The move to introduce the highly visible patrol cars (pictured) follows agitation by Sergeant Kim Taylor of Cooma police. He said they were part of a deliberate strategy "to be out there and be seen".

He pointed out that white police cars were hard to see against a snow background.

"Normal highway patrol cars are also difficult to see from the air," Taylor said. "It is much easier to track these new cars from a helicopter."

The yellow car is a Falcon XR8, and the green and red cars are both Holden SS models.

Taylor said the NSW trial of brightly coloured cars followed a similar, successful, trial in the Victorian snowfields.

The vehicles were revealed last week during the launch of Operation Snow Safe 2003, at which Acting Southern Region Commander Wayne Dedden said police were working alongside the RTA, National Parks and Wildlife Service and local councils to combat drink-driving, speeding and major-injury collisions during the snow season.

"Now in its 10th year, Operation Snow Safe has resulted in a significant reduction in road trauma in the alpine region, which in turn reduces the cost to the community in human terms," Dedden said.

"We want to make sure that every trip to the mountains ends with fond memories, not in licences being suspended or worse, lives being lost."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 03:58 AM
We Love Greb Murpy

Re: Falcon's police role could go global

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboMan6

Ford in Australia, however, has thrown cold water on the plan.

"There are no export plans," a spokeswoman said.

It ain't happening.

"When I joined the marines all they gave us was two sticks and a rock! And we had to share the rock between the whole platoon!"
-----------
H2 pwnz j00 foo.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 04:26 AM
E-Series Cameraman

Pfft, stupid Ford is at it again... No ambition I tell ya... This is such a great opportunity. Dickheads...

Alex
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 04:29 AM
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Petrol tanks have to be in front of or over the diff in USA cars I thought, hence the export problem.

Dellboy999

I did put something here, but it vanshied, I think

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 04:53 AM

never knock down a oppotunity when you want it may never come back again. That is- business common sense. It could also be finally the foot in the door finally for the aussie Falcon in the States.

With all its sham, drugery and broken dreams its still a beautiful world be careful strive to be happy.

quote from- Desiderata.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 04:55 AM
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
Originally posted by Dellboy999
Petrol tanks have to be in front of or over the diff in USA cars I thought, hence the export problem.

Dellboy999
Haha, thats just the beginning. The cost to retool for LHD itself would be expensive, and Ford Aus are already pumping out falcs as fast as they can, given delays with JIT. I don't think many people would be happy if Ford took longer to fulfill their order either.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 05:23 AM
Mr. Embargo

An export program like this is very achievable and profitable, the only issue I can see at this stage is that Ford US has other plans.

BTW The petrol tank location on the BA meets US requirements.

*Retired.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 06:07 AM
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Nope! Seen where they are on the Mustang?

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/mus...otos/index.htm

Hey look - BON actually has a useful page! There's one for the historybooks

Now powered by PCOTY WINNING SR20DET - 32% engine weight, 37% capacity, 50% cylinder count
Clicky clicky here for previous ride! I still miss her!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 06:21 AM
Interloper from LS1.com

Quote:
The tank positioning is not set down, but many manufacturers achieve the required rear impact standards by locating the fuel tank over or infront of the axle.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-03, 06:28 AM
Future Art StudentÖ

It would be nice to see more police XR8s here, before we worry about America.

Australian Police Cars
Featuring photos of police and emergency vehicles from Australia and New Zealand.
http://auspolcars.fateback.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Off Topic Section > The Pub