97 Taurus Vulcan-clean throttle body? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-08, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

97 Taurus Vulcan-clean throttle body?

First off....I couldn't find the 'SEARCH' function for this site to see if this topic has been discussed before. Does it have one?

My 97 Taurus w/Vulcan and 106 thousand miles has a minor problem. A couple of months ago it started to intermittently idle a little faster. I purchased an OBD2 reader and found that the Throttle position sensor sometimes would indicate the throttle wasn't quite closed. If I closed the throttle abruptly a couple of times things would be OK for a while. When it happened again later, I decided to clean the throttle body. When I pulled the air filter connecting tube, I uncovered a sticker stating that the throttle body has a special coating, and NOT to clean it or the coating will be destroyed. My throttle body does have a slight build up of debris. How do I clean it so the throttle can close completely?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-08, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Re: 97 Taurus Vulcan-clean throttle body?

Hi, The search feature is located in the blue bar above. You must be logged in to see it.

Get a can of throttle body cleaner, it is safe for the coating as It's not as harsh as carb cleaner.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-08, 08:06 PM
canuck

Re: 97 Taurus Vulcan-clean throttle body?

You have two options on how to clean the throttle body. The lazy mans way is to spray cleaner at the dirty spots with the engine running (you may need a second body to give it some throttle so the engine doesn't stall out). The proper way would be to remove it and wash it with solvent, let it dry or dry it yourself then reinstall. If you remove it you can clean it twice as good since you can get the crap off the inner side which you can't get at if you leave it connected and just spray GUNK cleaner or another can of cleaner in there. I wouldn't worry much about the coating. It's unlikely it'll come off, if it does it'll go into the intake of the engine. If that was the case Ford would have issued a recall years ago!

'11 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 SXT 5.7L HEMI (stock); 75,000m
'06 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L 220hp; 83,000m
'17 Fusion SE 2.5L 16,000m
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007