A few modding questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CatSkinner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-19, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hey folks,

Been lurking for a while; I think this is my first post. Long time Ford owner. First Ford was a hand-me-down from my Dad: 72 Custom 500 Wagon. 2 BR, no bath. OK, not that big. Next Ford for me was a 75 Torino wagon that I transplanted the drivetrain from the 72 into. Followed over the years by: 87 Mustang LX 5.0 (heavily modified), 78 Mustang King Cobra, 68 Mustang Fastback, 99 Taurus SL sedan (Vulcan motor), 96 Explorer 4x4, 2001 Sable Wagon (Vulcan), and currently a 99 Taurus SE wagon with the Duratec DOHC. It's this car that I'm modding. I have some plans once I acquire another DD to do an engine swap. In the meantime, I want to do some convenience, appearance, and "make it unique" mods. Hoping others might have some suggestions.

1.) I live in an area with well lit roads and I have good night vision, so I put my headlights on auto. I'd like to find a way to have them NOT light until the car is started or moving. I know the 99 wouldn't have a park sense wire. Any suggestions how to accomplish this?

2.) I'd like to add a rear spoiler. I like the looks of wagons with a rear spoiler over the window and or coming off the roof. I'm thinking I'd mount it near the rear of the roof since adding it directly to the glass might have repercussions with vibration and anyway, it would overload the lifts. Something like in the photo attached, but I'm open to thinner ones. Suggestions?

3.) I'll add this to the wanted section under Marketplace, but since we're both here... anyone got a Gen3 Taurus EATC radio faceplate? Lead on one? Know someone with old stock?

I'm looking for a radio faceplate to use an aftermarket head unit, either single DIN or double DIN (double preferred). The faceplate to use with electronic temp (EATC).

Thanks in advance. Hope the new year is treating you well,
mthomp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-19, 05:02 PM
Moderators

I combined your posts. Sorry I have nothing to add other than google is your friend and maybe ebay.

07 Gt Tungsten Grey
Roush (Airaid) Cai, GT500 Tb with BlowByRacing Adaptor Plate, UPR O/r X Pipe, M80's, Pypes Muffler Delete Axle Back, Sr Performance Adjustable Motor Mounts and Steeda Tri Ax Short Throw Shifter

02 Gt Mineral Grey
Steeda Sport Springs, 3.73s, Pro5.0 Short Shifter, Pypes O/r X Pipe, full 2.5 inch exhaust with M80's, 75mm Tb and C&L Plenum

87 Mercury Grand Marquis
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-19, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Re: A few modding questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85ltdcrownvic View Post
...google is your friend and maybe ebay.
Yeah, I've done the searches:
Google
Yahoo
Dogpile
DuckDuckGo

and the sales sites:
eBay
Amazon
Craigslist
Row52
LetGo
OfferUp
Facebook Marketplace
The12Volt

Figure someone might have or come across one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-19, 06:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Once you step outside the realm of the cookie cutter norm, it's up to you to blaze that new path. Auto headlights use nothing more than a photocell preset to close a switch. With that piece of knowledge, you're left with 2 choices, finding all the pieces parts on a newer car to make it work, or create something of your own.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_67dzg6ygzg_e

A spoiler? Well, there's dozens of YouTube videos showing how to make custom body parts out of carbon fiber and fiber glass. My suggestion would be to mock something up in cardboard, slap some resin on the cardboard to stiffen it, then use that as a pattern to create the real thing.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-19, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing you didn't read all of my question. I'm not looking to add auto headlights. I have them. I'm looking to be able to leave them on auto, but not come on until the car is either running or taken out of park. Currently they come on as soon as the key is turned to run (if not enough light gets to the photocell). I want to delay that until the car is running.

I have neither the skills, patience, nor the desire to acquire the skills to create my own spoiler. I've seen the stuff on YT and most of it looks like crap. If I was doing that I'd either create a mold first of the top of the hatch, then create it from wood so I can ensure that everything is correctly sized, uniform and symmetrical, finally laying down fiberglass under ABS, or I'd 3D print it. . Once done, everyone would want one and I'd have to become an LLC and get a tax permit, find a materials supplier, and start building these and then I wouldn't have any time to be on the forums ;-).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-19, 07:34 AM
Dazed and Confused

"I'm guessing you didn't read all of my question. I'm not looking to add auto headlights. I have them. I'm looking to be able to leave them on auto, but not come on until the car is either running or taken out of park. Currently they come on as soon as the key is turned to run (if not enough light gets to the photocell). I want to delay that until the car is running"

You're right, I missed that part, you can add a time delay relay and have the relay energized with the fuel pump. Set it for 5 seconds and if you don't start running immediately, the headlights remain off. As far as the other mods, what you ask doesn't exist.
mthomp8984 likes this.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-19, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
"I'm guessing you didn't read all of my question. I'm not looking to add auto headlights. I have them. I'm looking to be able to leave them on auto, but not come on until the car is either running or taken out of park. Currently they come on as soon as the key is turned to run (if not enough light gets to the photocell). I want to delay that until the car is running"

You're right, I missed that part, you can add a time delay relay and have the relay energized with the fuel pump. Set it for 5 seconds and if you don't start running immediately, the headlights remain off. As far as the other mods, what you ask doesn't exist.
I saw this yesterday and today one of the customers let me know he found a time delay relay on Amazon (yeah, most likely cheap stuff) but he suggests we can try that. So I've ordered it. I'll probably tie it in right after the light sensor. While the lamps can come on while the vehicle is off if someone just turns the key to run, I'll set it for a 10 or 15 second delay. The car should be running and no spikes or drops in voltage. I'm pretty sure that they lamps aren't igniting because of starting with low voltage. The relay is only $10 so it won't kill me if it's something else. I was thinking about getting it from the fuel pump relay, oil pressure sensor or the alternator, but this will keep it all in the cabin and I don't have to mess with any other system.

Thank you all. I am always appreciative of your knowledge and ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007