Ford Forums banner

Found on top of valve cover

9K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
I went to change the spark plugs on my 2014 Titanium Focus and found what looks to be some sort of vacuum break valve or something similar just laying next to the number 4 coil pack. The car has been in for a few recalls so I'm assuming somewhere along the way it was removed and lost on top of the engine. I want to figure out where it goes so I can put it back / verify that it was replaced. I've poked around as much as I can without starting to rip things apart. The car seems to run fine and there are no codes present. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Is it hollow? If so, and considering one of the recalls was for:

Recall Number
18V735000
Recall Date
10/22/2018
Component
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2012-2018 Ford Focus vehicles with a 2.0L GDI or 2.0L GTDI engine. The Canister Purge Valve (CPV) may malfunction, possibly causing excessive vacuum in fuel vapor management system.
...could it be a joiner from canister purge line?

#11 ·
But I thought/ believe they sit in the middle of a hose. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjVjzxPdlQ and https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/8038938-post7.html If we are talking about the canister purge valve. Bit yes if the engine cover post is what you have in mind.
I am referring to the engine cover mounting studs which can vary / alter in style , sometimes slightly , especially if not OEM . But not uncommon on OEM parts also . Things may have changed but used to be common to find " extra " parts like this on virtually every make of car , inside doors used to be a favourite spot if you had to pull trim for any work . But feel free to dismiss as only an educated guess .

#15 ·
And of course although that part was found on a 2014 Ford Focus Valve cover it may not necessarily be from that vehicle originally. It may have been flicked up from the road, fallen out of a ceiling or overhead light fitting, come from a mechanics tool or pocket or even left there by some rodent (I gather squirrels frequently store nuts and nut like items there in North America e.g. ) There are several other youtube videos on changing spark plugs and/or coils on a Ford Focus that show squirrels' nut collection in the valve cover valley between the coils.

Not a problem we have in Australia; we just have to watch for the rodents that eat the wiring and the venomous snakes that follow them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.