02 ranger 2.3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-18, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

02 ranger 2.3

I have a 02 ranger 2.3 the temp gauge will not work I have replaced both sensors and unplugged the harness and made a jumper to see if the gauge would work when I jumped it did work it went all the way to hot but when hooked up it still does not work I changed it out three times still nothing and barley have any heat on my heater any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-18, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Re: 02 ranger 2.3

Only thing I can think of would be the thermostat. It may be stuck open.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-18, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Only thing I can think of would be the thermostat. It may be stuck open.
If the temp isn't working you may have a blockage to did you test your radiator. If that's not it you may have a ground missed up not getting power to the sensor check your wiring to you may have crack in one of the wires. And if that not it you may need to replace your heater core or at least flush it if you have barely any heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-18, 08:28 AM
Moderators

If , as suggested , the thermostat is jammed open you will get little or no heat , especially in winter . You could check the heat in the hoses to the heater core / matrix which will give a further indication of whether thermostat is knackered or not . Also try bleeding the system . I have had some temp senders that failed to operate due to not earthing because of rust round threads in block / cyl. head or using tape on threads . Others failed due to not getting coolant to sensor due to build up of rust and sludge . Cleaning out and getting flow of coolant cured the fault . Other possible causes but would check out the suggestions in the replies given first before getting in too deep .

Never, never, never give up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-18, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithbarr95 View Post
If the temp isn't working you may have a blockage to did you test your radiator. If that's not it you may have a ground missed up not getting power to the sensor check your wiring to you may have crack in one of the wires. And if that not it you may need to replace your heater core or at least flush it if you have barely any heat.
He did jumper the connection at the temp sensor and the gauge did respond accordingly. Plus, he changed the sensor three times. That pretty much eliminates the wiring and the sensor. If there was a blockage at the radiator there would be heat and plenty of it,at the engine. The fact that the engine does not seem to reach normal operating temperature and puts out very little heat is a tale tale sign of a thermostat that is stuck open, no thermostat or even air trapped within the cooling system.

Here's a way to tell. Put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator that will cover about 75% of the fin surface area and go for a short drive. Give it enough time to warm up and put out heat. If this works then its more than likely the thermostat, or lack of.

Now if you get the temp gauge up in the normal zone and there is still no heat, then I would start looking for a blockage in the heater core lines or the core itself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-18, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

When I dive the truck the engine gets pretty hot not sure how hot bc the gauge doesn’t work but I’m pretty sure it’s very hot I’m afraid it may be running hot that’s why I really want the gauge fixed I just bought the truck last week for a work truck I dive 3 hours a day in it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-18, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Try installing a mechanical gauge. Most come with the fittings needed to install in the sending unit outlet. Autozone would carry these gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum