Advice for Ranger Purchase 2004-2010 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-25-18, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Advice for Ranger Purchase 2004-2010

Hey Gang,

I'm looking to buy a Ford Ranger - my budget is around $5k (Canadian), depending on the shape it's in. It's mostly for my daily driver as well as for hauling stuff (wood, dirt, gravel) for projects around the home.

I'm basically hoping to find
-a 4x4 model (this is a requirement, hard winters here)
-Non extended cab - can I assume that if the cab isn't extended, then the truck bed size will be larger? If this isn't the case then the extended cab is ok with me
-minimal rust (definitely don't want trashed rockers, and minimal rust underneath - it may be a long shot for this)
-automatic transmission
-power features (windows, mirrors - this would be a bonus)
-working AC/heat

Would you all mind giving me some advice on what to specifically look for (issues that are common with these models).

I used to have a Jeep Cherokee Sport, did a lot of work on it myself (leaf springs, shocks, x-joints, main bearings, etc). All of that done with help from forum members and youtube, with only previous "oil change" experience.

I'm hoping the Ranger would be in the same class of vehicle that I can tackle repairing myself for wear and tear items like the ones described above.

If there is a post that covers this, would you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-26-18, 05:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Advice for Ranger Purchase 2004-2010

Best advice I can give: stay away from the 4 cylinders. Never saw one that the owner didn't complain about it being under powered.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum