sticky gas pedal/sudden trans problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-04, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

sticky gas pedal/sudden trans problems

if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated:

Yesterday, my 93 2.3l tempo was driving fine....absolutely nothing wrong as far as i could tell
Today, when I went to leave for work, I noticed that the gas pedal was sticking VERY badly. I turned the car off, and the pedal moved just fine, but when i turned it back on it was hard to push again.
Additionally, when i drove off, i noticed that the trans seems to be slipping pretty badly. I go to accelerate, and the car rev's up very high, but takes off very slow. When I slow down, the trans seems to slip into a lower gear.

I guess my question is: Is it possible that these two problems are related? Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks for responding

Nigel Ciappara

ps I took it to a car shop, and the computer said that it had a improper gear ratio in the trans. He said that this either means that the wrong trans is installed (since I know that the trans is the origional from factory and has never been rebuilt, this can't be it) or that there is a major mechanical problem within. Does this sound accurate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-05, 06:53 PM

Re: sticky gas pedal/sudden trans problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by nciappara
if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated:

Yesterday, my 93 2.3l tempo was driving fine....absolutely nothing wrong as far as i could tell
Today, when I went to leave for work, I noticed that the gas pedal was sticking VERY badly. I turned the car off, and the pedal moved just fine, but when i turned it back on it was hard to push again.
Additionally, when i drove off, i noticed that the trans seems to be slipping pretty badly. I go to accelerate, and the car rev's up very high, but takes off very slow. When I slow down, the trans seems to slip into a lower gear.

I guess my question is: Is it possible that these two problems are related? Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks for responding

Nigel Ciappara

ps I took it to a car shop, and the computer said that it had a improper gear ratio in the trans. He said that this either means that the wrong trans is installed (since I know that the trans is the origional from factory and has never been rebuilt, this can't be it) or that there is a major mechanical problem within. Does this sound accurate.
Didn't see any other responses, but think I have a similar problem today. The car didn't get out of first gear until I was almost home. Mine is a 2.3L with automatic trans. I got a book at the auto supply store after work and did some reading. Thought maybe I had a vacuum leak, but the link to the transmission is mechanical according to book. Found the big black plastic (splash) shield on top of the engine on driver's side with a cable from the accelerator pedal coming into it from the firewall side. Removed nut and bolt and pried black plastic shield off. Noticed there is a link shaft (throttle valve rod?) coming up from beneath. Seems to have a large eye on the bottom end that fits VERY loosely over a small linkage ball that is attached to a lever coming from the side of the transaxle. It looks to me like there ought to be a socket in the eye that would snap on the ball. As it is now, I can very easily pull the eye off of the ball. It has a good 1/8" of space inside of it before you get to the ball! I know its been almost six months since you posted, but can you see what I am trying to describe on your Tempo? I'm thinking that when the pedal stuck, the socket was in the process of falling out of the eye and it hung on the engine compartment. Of course, I just pushed the pedal harder and the socket fell on out and the pedal moved freely again. The eye didn't engage the ball again until I slowed down to a stop and turned when I was almost to the house. I did notice the transmission started shifting again after the turn, but I had also turned on the A/C by that time to test my vacuum theory. The throttle valve rod has a coil spring attached to it that seems to maintain its vertical position. Well, I hope you're shifting again by now. After I did my inspection tonight, I drove the car and it shifted OK. Fortunately, I'm only a few miles from where I work!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-05, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwasblue
Didn't see any other responses, but think I have a similar problem today. The car didn't get out of first gear until I was almost home. Mine is a 2.3L with automatic trans. I got a book at the auto supply store after work and did some reading. Thought maybe I had a vacuum leak, but the link to the transmission is mechanical according to book. Found the big black plastic (splash) shield on top of the engine on driver's side with a cable from the accelerator pedal coming into it from the firewall side. Removed nut and bolt and pried black plastic shield off. Noticed there is a link shaft (throttle valve rod?) coming up from beneath. Seems to have a large eye on the bottom end that fits VERY loosely over a small linkage ball that is attached to a lever coming from the side of the transaxle. It looks to me like there ought to be a socket in the eye that would snap on the ball. As it is now, I can very easily pull the eye off of the ball. It has a good 1/8" of space inside of it before you get to the ball! I know its been almost six months since you posted, but can you see what I am trying to describe on your Tempo? I'm thinking that when the pedal stuck, the socket was in the process of falling out of the eye and it hung on the engine compartment. Of course, I just pushed the pedal harder and the socket fell on out and the pedal moved freely again. The eye didn't engage the ball again until I slowed down to a stop and turned when I was almost to the house. I did notice the transmission started shifting again after the turn, but I had also turned on the A/C by that time to test my vacuum theory. The throttle valve rod has a coil spring attached to it that seems to maintain its vertical position. Well, I hope you're shifting again by now. After I did my inspection tonight, I drove the car and it shifted OK. Fortunately, I'm only a few miles from where I work!
Same issue here...Here's my complete trans. related problems with my 93 Tempo 2.3, 155k miles.
The transmission engages into drive/reverse perfectly. When in drive, there is a slight catch felt on the gas peddle just as the throttle body is opened. After this point, there is no tightness on the peddle, it feels normal. When taking off normally (little peddle just at the 'catch') the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are extremely delayed with the RPM's reaching approx 3,500 (by ear). Sounds like the TV rod is out of adjustment (??), BUT when accelerating at 1/2 throttle, the shifts are too fast. Almost an immediate 1-3 shift. Since the shifts are both delayed and soon, depending on throttle position, I don't think it's a TV linkage adjustment issue. When in drive at speed, the transmission will downshift properly when the peddle is pressed to the floor.
Here's the kicker... The 'catch' that is felt when the throttle body is opening (start of the peddle travel) worsens depending on gear/shifter position. If I pull the shifter into 2nd, the peddle is stiff throughout its travel to the floor. When the shifter is pulled into 1st, I can't move the peddle.
I strongly believe all of this is related to that TV rod from the throttle lever to the transmission. I believe it's an internal issue/adjustment on the transmission lever that the rod is connected to (on the trans. end). Hope I'm wrong! Anyone have any suggestions? It is the original transmission... fluid is within specs... no unusual noises... runs great at cruise... just has problems shifting.
Thanks in advance! Jim

One more thing, when slowing down the transmission will downshift into 2nd at 40 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-05, 03:16 AM

It could also be something like the TB or the TV rod. If you look at the throttle body, make sure it opens and closes smoothly, check the cable for kinks, and while checking the TB, you will see a rod that goes down to the tranny and has a spring attached.

That rod can get on a bind or you can lose the bushing where the rod attaches to the tranny. The bushing is a generic ford part that costs less than $2. Problem is only 1 of the dealerships in my area know what I'm talking about when I ask for 'the generic white bushing on the TV rod where it attaches to the transmission'.

My Web Gallery
Crazy 'Bout A Mercury
1991 Topaz GS (2.3/auto) (gone with the ex Wife; I'll miss that car)
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-11, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
It could also be something like the TB or the TV rod. If you look at the throttle body, make sure it opens and closes smoothly, check the cable for kinks, and while checking the TB, you will see a rod that goes down to the tranny and has a spring attached.

That rod can get on a bind or you can lose the bushing where the rod attaches to the tranny. The bushing is a generic ford part that costs less than $2. Problem is only 1 of the dealerships in my area know what I'm talking about when I ask for 'the generic white bushing on the TV rod where it attaches to the transmission'.

Sorry guys to revive this thread from the dead but did you guys figured out what was wrong, what was causing this issu. Is this problem related with that bushing ?

Thanks

Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum