WINDSOR, Ont., April 29, 2003 – Ford's 100-Millionth V-8 engine – a 3-valve Triton™ 5.4-litre V-8 – rolled off Essex Engine Plant's (EEP) line today. The milestone engine, and hundreds of thousands like it, will power the all-new 2004 F-Series pickup.
Nearly one quarter – or 22.4 million – of all the V-8 engines ever produced by the Ford Motor Company were made in Windsor.
“Our Windsor operations continue to make a strong contribution to the success of the Ford Motor Company. Today, Windsor is the source of about half of Ford V-8s, as well as many V-6 and V-10 engines – all of which power some of the most popular Ford and Lincoln vehicles,” said Alain Batty, president & CEO, Ford of Canada.
Ford of Canada's Windsor operations began as a base to produce uniquely Canadian Model C cars in 1904. In time, Windsor evolved from car production into a global powerhouse of Ford engine production. Since 1932, Ford of Canada has produced 22.4 million V-8 engines – most of them built at the Windsor Engine Plant.
The production of the 100-millionth V-8 at EEP also ushers in Ford's newest source of V-8 engines. (The 22-year-old EEP has, until recently, produced only V-6 engines). In collaboration with Windsor Engine Plant, EEP has become the exclusive source of 5.4-litre, 3-valve Triton V-8 engines for the 2004 F-Series pickup. The two-plant partnership began to take shape in 2000 when both Essex Engine and Windsor Engine plants broke ground on massive, $770 million (Cdn), ($485 million U.S.) capacity expansions. By late 2002, Essex Engine Plant received a 22,500 m2 (250,000 sq. ft.ft2) building that housed a new production line for the final assembly of the new engines, as well as a new crankshaft machining area. Across town, Windsor Engine Plant increased in size by some 25 percent, having received a 48,000m2 (530,000 sq ft ft2) expansion to produce three-valve cylinder heads that are shipped to EEP for final assembly of the 5.4-litre, 3-valve Triton V-8.
During the past seven decades, Ford of Canada's Windsor operations have produced a variety of V-8 engines. The "Flathead" debuted in 1932 as the first mass-produced V-8, and its derivatives continued until the 1960s. By 1969, Windsor was producing the 400 cubic inch V-8 truck engine, followed by a short-lived 255 cubic-inch version, and finally the fabled 5.0-litre made from 1983 to 1990. Also in 1969, the 351W ("W" for Windsor) V-8 made its debut. With 5.8 litres of displacement, 351W production continued for 30 years until it was retired in 1999.
Today, the Triton is the mainstay of Windsor V-8 production. A modular engine, the Triton V-8s feature 4.6- or 5.4-litre displacements in two-, three- and four-valve cylinder head configurations. The four-valve version is available on Lincoln Navigator and is the basis for the new Ford GT supercar's 500 horsepower engine.
Ford of Canada’s operations include a national headquarters, six regional offices, six vehicle assembly and engine manufacturing plants, two parts distribution centres, and affiliates including Ford Credit, Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover and Hertz. Ford employs more than 16,000 people, while an additional 21,000 are employed in 502 Ford and Ford-Lincoln dealerships across Canada. In 2002, revenues for Canadian operations were $23.3 billion, making Ford of Canada one of the country's largest privately-held companies. Since 1990, Ford has invested nearly $9.5 billion in its Canadian operations. For more information, please visit www.ford.ca.