2011 FPV GT Manual Boss 335 Ticking lower end - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

2011 FPV GT Manual Boss 335 Ticking lower end

Folks, I have been battling an issue with Ford Geelong for some time now.
I have had a ticking noise that is noticeable around the 1800 - 3000rpm at the bottom end of the motor.
When under warranty - I raised this 3 times (of the 9 visits) to have looked at and it was dismissed as Engine ping - use higher octane than 98??? and a noisy heat shield.
Neither was the right diagnosis

The car has done 90,000kms and I did the oil change myself as its not under warranty with factory spec 5w20 (castor edge) & motorcraft filter. What do you know - the noise is really noticeable - tick tick again but a little worse. It only happens after engine is warm (Oil is warmed up to operating temp)

When stand still - I can reproduce the tick between 1800 and 2000rpm

When cruising around the 2500 - 3000rpm

I have paper work reporting the issue, but this is the first oil change since out of warranty!!!

Do I raise it with Ford - or move to a thicker oil (what grade 10W30, 20W40)???

Any suggestions, thinking I raise it with FORD again and advise them my findings, but not sure I will get far

Suggestions?

O

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 07:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

Re: 2011 FPV GT Manual Boss 335 Ticking lower end

I hate hearing this, since the warranty has expired, there's really no obligation (legally) for the dealership to take care of it. I would gather any records you have and contact the district manager. There is a chance that it's a phenomena with that particular engine. My work truck has the EcoBoost and it makes all kinds of strange noises. I was about to take it to the dealer until I heard the other three that we had at the time make the same noises. I don't mean to be dismissive about this, but after 55,000 miles on the engine and it's only the noise you've experienced. I don't know how you drive, but I believe the engine has VCT, it may need to have a firmware upgrade. Hopefully there's someone a little more familiar with the newer Falcons.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-15, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

No VCT in this puppy
2011 model
AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-15, 02:37 PM
FF.com Administrator

Raise it with Ford again.

The 5.0l 335 supercharged does have VCT.

The engine should not ping and should not need higher than 98 octane to run unless you have modified the engine.

As you have already raised the issue with Ford during the warranty period and it was not resolved then you should have a reasonable argument for them to look at it again.

You may need to be a bit stubborn about it to get anywhere but as you raised it as a problem 3 times during warranty then it certainly is a problem.

Did you buy it new from this dealer and do you have a good relationship with them?.

Lance
71 429SCJ Mustang
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-15, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
From what I describe - are you thinking this is engine ping?

Does not do it when cold only when warm

ALso if I give it a bit of stick - the noise only goes to about 3500rpm then goes away

My worst fear is piston slap or bearing (unlikely)

I have raised a case number with FoMoCo but awaiting a response - has been now over 24 hours and they said there case manager would be back before this time - followed up - left number but no answer.

I got on well with the dealer service person as is a personal friend and will have him assist if possible. My ex fomoco employee status is to old to push these days

O
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-15, 04:42 AM

2011 FPV GT Manual Boss 335 Ticking lower end

Did the dealer compare to a like vehicle? It's very hard for us to help with noises that can't be heard in person. I would not switch to a thicker oil. If you opened a case with ford I'm sure they will be in touch.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-15, 05:52 PM
FF.com Administrator

It is difficult to diagnose a noise without hearing it.

Normally piston slap is at it's worst when cold and reduces when hot.

A bearing noise I would have expected to get worse over time but sometimes things aren't as we expect.

Based on what you have said, it could be pinging but from memory Ford recommends 95 octane or above and these engines run knock sensors and an electronic boost limiter if intake charge temp is too high so it should not ping if everything is working correctly. I am assuming you are running 98 octane fuel which would be wise to do.

So really if the engine is unmodified and you are using 98 octane and it is still pinging then there would still seem to be an issue with tune that Ford should have sorted out.

The noise could of course be something else and as they suggested a heat shield but they still should have fixed it wherever it came from.

The water pumps did fail on some of the earlier builds but thats a long shot for that noise.

As you have a good relationship with the dealership then that is a big help for getting Ford to sort out the problem.

It would be great to hear how you get on with resolving it.

Lance
71 429SCJ Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum