7 litres and 373kw - what's FPV's answer? - Page 13 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-01-04, 11:38 PM
Can't wait for Winton...

Re: 7 litres and 373kw - what's FPV's answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Isn't the 4.6 to wide to fit into the BA engine bay easily? I know Hilliers put it in the 300+, but I didn't think it was viable on a high volume basis...

I hereby stand to be corrected. :-)
Keep standing then! The 4.6 is narrower than the 5.4 due to the shorter deck height of the block (shorter stroke).

What Ian says is true, but only for the same gear ratio, if the Mazda revs 50% higher and has gearing to match (ie same road speed at 9000rpm as the Nissan at 6000rpm) then they would accelerate at the same rate.

PS that is just a hypothetical, theoretical example. I pulled those figures out of my... I mean from thin air! So don't argue about what the gearing actually is. I agree entirely with the point you're making (don't overlook torque) but there is more to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-02-04, 01:08 AM
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
What Ian says is true, but only for the same gear ratio, if the Mazda revs 50% higher and has gearing to match (ie same road speed at 9000rpm as the Nissan at 6000rpm) then they would accelerate at the same rate.

PS that is just a hypothetical, theoretical example. I pulled those figures out of my... I mean from thin air! So don't argue about what the gearing actually is. I agree entirely with the point you're making (don't overlook torque) but there is more to it.
Sure gearing matters but in gear pull of the torque makes for more of a improvement then gearing could (within reason of course). However what you need to do with a low torque car is to increase the gearing which magnifies the torque (think leverage). The shorter the gearing the more torque that is going to the rear wheels. In first gear, your rwNm is greater than in say a 1:1 gear like 4th (on most gearboxes).

Gearing is important, however with a fatter torque line with a 350Z, it would be easier to get right, and easier to going faster.

Think about everything you know about powerful cars - and it's all about getting the wheels moving. Ever seen a semi trailer "REALLY" take off without a load? It's an impressive sight to say the least - however the gearing lets it down in any real acceleration effort because about the first 4 are real short for grunty (ie torque-y) take offs.

It is all about torque.

Falcon Killer (if you believe what Ford Service Departments have to say about me)
AU II XR6 - October 2001 ~ December 2002 - RIP
BA XR6 - December 2002 ~ Soon to disappear if Ford CRC can't fix it....

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
post #123 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-02-04, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley

It is all about torque.

And some have more than others................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-02-04, 01:39 AM
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbarse
And some have more than others................
Just doing my bit to get that post count to 1,000,000!

Falcon Killer (if you believe what Ford Service Departments have to say about me)
AU II XR6 - October 2001 ~ December 2002 - RIP
BA XR6 - December 2002 ~ Soon to disappear if Ford CRC can't fix it....

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
post #125 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-02-04, 04:14 PM

Ford will have a 6.2, it will be released for the 07 F150 (mid to late 06) in the F150, it will put out 350HP (the 5.4 3 valve puts out 300hp in the truck)
Can Ford Aus get their hands on it at the same time? Well they got the 3valve 5.4 before it was even released in the US, so there is a possibility if the demand is that high.
I think they should release a GTHO around that same time with a 370kw 6.2L V8 hooked up to a 50kw electric motor for boosted fuel economy, power and a crap load of torque. The GT and GT-P should have the 370kw motor as it is.
They should build a two door version also, and call it the Thunderbird and export it - do a much better job than the GTO
post #126 of 126 (permalink) Old 12-04-04, 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=Ultra Tune Kal]A very good source has told me that the 6.0l LS2 Holden/HSV engines are dropping valves.

Evidence would be good! Or is this the usual anti-Holden shite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum