Boss 260 Cam tensioners - question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-06, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Boss 260 Cam tensioners - question

My BA XR8 is going in to the Ford dealer for the cam tensioners to be replaced under warranty as the Boss 260 has a nasty rattle sometimes at cold startup.

My question is : Are the tensioners replaced without removing the timing chains from the Cam sprockets?

I ask this because I have high lift Crow Cams in the beast. Is it possible that the mechanics might not realise this and may reset the cam timing to stock Boss 260 specs?

2003 BA XR8 Ute - 5 speed manual
Premium brakes, BA GT 18 inch wheels, Lowered suspension.
Unichip, SS inductions CAI, 80mm throttle body, Crow cams, 3 inch exhaust.
252rwkw and a FAT torque curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-06, 01:49 AM
Want Roots Blower

Re: Boss 260 Cam tensioners - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus
My BA XR8 is going in to the Ford dealer for the cam tensioners to be replaced under warranty as the Boss 260 has a nasty rattle sometimes at cold startup.

My question is : Are the tensioners replaced without removing the timing chains from the Cam sprockets?

I ask this because I have high lift Crow Cams in the beast. Is it possible that the mechanics might not realise this and may reset the cam timing to stock Boss 260 specs?

Sorry, this isn't answering your question, but did you have any problems claiming warranty with your CIA, exhaust, etc installed??? I ask 'cos I want to have mine done too.

Cheers, James

BA XR8. Blood Orange, auto (unfortunately), premium sound, Cat-back stainless Quad exhaust, K&N Filter, front grille kit, Poly-Air rear springs @ 10psi, SS Cold Air Intake.
222.0 RWKWs.
VTR1000F Bike (0-100 in 2.5 seconds)
XH ute. 5 speed, dual fuel.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-06, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Boss 260 Cam tensioners - question

Ok, looks like no-one's cracked the timing covers on a Boss yet?

Thanks anyway, the job's done and the new tensioners are in. Everything seems sweet. Still pulls like a fourteen year old until the cams come on at 3500, then WOOHOO!!!

Wokka, the warranty seems to be a real case by case thing. My dealer is great - they replaced the throttle position sensor, which was a ford item, but was fitted to my aftermarket 80mm throttle body. If that is not a clear case of a modification that could affect a warranty claim, I dunno what isn't.

With the camchain tensioners, the dealer was great again. No questions asked, so I assume the tensioners were far enough removed from the modified cams to be acceptable under their warranty conditions.

I guess if I went in with noisy lifters, they might not be so amenable to a warranty claim.

As far as you are concerned, I don't think exhaust and CAI should affect a warranty claim for camchain tensioners, but the decision is Fords.

Good luck.

2003 BA XR8 Ute - 5 speed manual
Premium brakes, BA GT 18 inch wheels, Lowered suspension.
Unichip, SS inductions CAI, 80mm throttle body, Crow cams, 3 inch exhaust.
252rwkw and a FAT torque curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-06, 11:35 PM
Approach with caution.

Re: Boss 260 Cam tensioners - question

Had mine replaced under warranty too, seems like a pretty common thing for 260's as well as 290's.

F6: the fastest factory 4 door falcon in the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum