EF XR6 or EL XR6? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-05, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Seriously Disturbed

Tongue EF XR6 or EL XR6?

hey people, im new to this site/forum.. just wondering what your opinions are on the XR series. I'm looking at getting an XR6 EF or EL, not sure which one however... i like the look of both these cars as opposed to other XR's around that era.. (EB - AU) etc... visually, there are not too many differences, other than the front grille that i can tell... but mechanically, would the EL be a better pick? obviously being a later model it would be more advanced, but i was just wondering on peoples opinions. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-05, 05:31 AM
ESP Man

Re: EF XR6 or EL XR6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed_Dave
hey people, im new to this site/forum.. just wondering what your opinions are on the XR series. I'm looking at getting an XR6 EF or EL, not sure which one however... i like the look of both these cars as opposed to other XR's around that era.. (EB - AU) etc... visually, there are not too many differences, other than the front grille that i can tell... but mechanically, would the EL be a better pick? obviously being a later model it would be more advanced, but i was just wondering on peoples opinions. thanks in advance
Welcome to the FF Dave.

A handy reference book is "Ford Falcon" 2nd edition by Ewan Kennedy which contains more info on Falcs & Fairlanes than you'll ever need to know.

Personally I own a EL XR6 as I prefer the look of the quad headlights over the EF. However, the EL head lights, especially high beam, are shit due to their small size. Higher quality bulbs may improve this.

the EF & EL XR6 models are both identical in performance terms. 164kw's power and 366nm torque. This isn't much more than the std six which is 157kw & 357nm.

If you are a young bloke facing high ins premiums, the XR6 will cost just because of the badge which explains why a lot of young guys on here own fairmonts/ghia's which they trick up a bit - or a lot.

The abovementioned book states "on the EL, that suspension remained basically the same, still live rear axle but the system was extensively retuned with some mounting points moved, and different rate components used and the front geometry altered. The steering was also revised. The result was a less nervous car in the tail than the EF during hard cornering."

Ford spent $40M on the upgrade to EL to make it more refined. Heavier glass and more sound absorbing pads to improve noise quality even on the GL. The fairmont & Ghia have solar glass to protect against ultra violet rays.

Sadly, the EL XR6 did not get a power increase like the XR8 in Oct '97. That's taking anything away from the EF which was a vast improvement over the ED especially in terms of body strenght

Good hunting

The cop said "Do you know why I pulled you over". I said " Well, that all depends on how long you have been following me!"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-05, 06:53 AM

Smile Re: EF XR6 or EL XR6?

I am sure the EL XR6 has a different intake system than the EF which makes it perform a bit better and also smoother. Im not sure what they changed but I read somewhere that something to do with the intake has been changed also the EL has a better vent opening for the engine compared to the EF. I would always go for the latter model considering the condition of the car because it will certainly have less bugs than the previous one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-05, 04:31 PM

ELXR6 mate, had mine for 4 years and never missed a beat, great car.

High beam may be an issue, can't say I noticed it.

Vixen GT, Build No 665 (Damn! one off!!), Tremec Short Shifter, Premium Sound, FPV Steering Wheel, Tint, Stripes. In my garage!
FPVTickford Owners Club of WA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-05, 11:49 PM

EL had improved front suspension which sharpened things up and also removed some of the issues with the EF model's rear end float through bends. Generally as a last model things were very well sorted mechanically as well.

Edit..oops didn't read earlier posts which covered this with more authority..but it proves my memory is still holding...still on topic I get the chance to jump between an ELII Futura wagon ('98 update when VT was released) and our own BA Futura wagon and the EL steering is a lot heavier even allowing for tyres etc...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-05, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Seriously Disturbed

ahhhhh okay... yeah thats fair enough, i would probably go for the EL (Less Bugs, Less Km's)... but yeah the other issue is the insurance... going the standard 6 Cylinder falcon GLI knocks off about $1000 off the insurance, as im only just about to clear my 2nd year of driving.. so $1500 for insurance a year. with the standard Falcons, im guessing the EL would still be a better pick... if anyones got any info on it, as far as pros and cons, would be great, thanks :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum