Preview: 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles Forum for discussion of all Ford SVT Vehicles, such as: Ford F150 Lightning SVT, Ford Cobra SVT, Ford Focus SVT, Ford Contour SVT and previous SVO vehicles as well.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-05, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Preview: 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

Preview: 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

Fast and furious, SVT, like Mustang, reborn.

The Car Connection
by Paul A. Eisenstein (2005-03-22)

"I never thought I'd see my name on anything again." Carroll Shelby has never been shy, but on this particular, late winter afternoon, he looks unexpectedly sentimental. Only moments before, he'd helped pull the covers off the newest incarnation of the Ford Mustang. And this one bore theTexas legend's name in big bold chrome letters just below the back spoiler.

The Shelby Cobra GT500 that will get its public debut in New York this week is a modern incarnation of the classic Shelby Mustangs that ruled the road four decades ago. But while there's still plenty of brute force connected to the pony car's rear wheels, the new GT500 is decidedly more sophisticated and, we're promised, a good bit easier to drive every day.

Along with the new Sport Trac Adrenalin, the new Cobra also confirms the return of Ford's brand-within-a-brand, SVT. Until recently, there'd been growing plenty of reason to wonder whether Ford would abandon the ultra-high-performance market, or turn to outside tuners, such as California-based Saleen, to produce its more powerful models.

As with the original Cobra GT350 and GT500 models, Ford's newest pony car starts out with a modified stock Mustang. It gets a significantly stiffened suspension, 19-inch wheels, big Brembo brakes with cross-drilled rotors, Le Mans-style racing stripes and a variety of aerodynamic enhancements. Inside, buyers will find plenty of leather, ticket-me-red racing seats - to compliment the "SVT Red" exterior - and titanium-faced gauges, among other less-than-subtle touches. But the big changes will be found under the hood.

Where the Mustang GT gets by with a 4.6-liter V-8 making 300 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque, the GT500 squeezes a 5.4-liter, supercharged eight-banger under the hood, a pair of "Powered by SVT" camshaft covers making it clear what you've got to anyone who looks. The screw-type blower generates 8.5 psi boost. SVT's revised strategy is to use existing componentry wherever possible, so the aluminum cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings are all derived from the base Ford GT.

Even so, if initial ratings hold once the Cobra slithers onto the street in mid-2006, it will make at least 450 hp and 450 lb-ft of tire-spinning torque. That will make the '07 Cobra the most powerful Mustang ever. The Cobra channels all that power through a heavy-duty, six-speed manual gearbox.

"The car answers all my dreams," Shelby boasted.

Well, maybe not all of them. During a media preview prior to the New York Auto Show, Ford officials confirmed the new Cobra would stick with the base Mustang's solid axle, rather than going for an independent rear. North American product development czar Phil Martens told TheCarConnection.com the decision was made for two key reasons. He insisted the results of the IRS system just weren't better enough to justify adding 180 pounds to Mustang's curb weight.

Actually, Shelby revealed, there was another reason. The results also weren't good enough to justify a projected $5000 cost penalty. So we'll have to wait and see whether they're right, once Ford has a Cobra GT500 ready for the press fleet.

We'll also have to wait for a formal pricing announcement, though SVT's new marketing director, George Ayres, hints the Cobra GT500 will come in "around $40,000," a bit above the old SVT Mustang' $35,000 sticker.

One-time racer and long-time raconteur Carroll Shelby first put his name on a Mustang way back in 1964, with the GT-350R racer. A street version, commonly known as the "rent-a-racer," followed, and was offered through Hertz, the leading rental car company. The "King of the Road" was the GT-500KR, which dominated the competition with its big-block 428-cubic-inch V-8. Less than 15,000 were built before going out of production in 1970.

Over the years, Shelby has continued to put his name on a number of cars, including the less-than-hallowed front-drive econoboxes built by Chrysler Corp. in the 1980s. Several years ago, Shelby rejoined Ford, though there were plenty of questions what the pairing would produce. In particular, observers were left wondering by Ford's seeming disinterest in the SVT badge. Some speculated that the Cobra would never hit market.

Now that it's on the production schedule, along with the Adrenalin, Ford officials insist that the high-performance nameplate is here to stay. Hau Tai-Tang, the Vietnamese émigré who oversaw development of the new Mustang, and is now in charge of SVT, says the goal is to have as many as five different models wearing the SVT brand at any one time.

Look for the various models to run from under $20,000 to the low-$40,000 range.

Exactly what might follow these first two models? No one is saying, though an SVT-upgraded version of the upcoming Ford Fusion sedan is reportedly in the works. Beyond that, "I want to lead," hinted Tai-Tang. "I want to get into new segments and force the competition to follow."

With all the power promised for the new Cobra GT500, it's likely that almost everyone will have to follow.

Stacy94PGT
My first car was a 67 Mustang Coupe, 2nd one was a 67 Cougar XR-7, 3rd one was a 66 Mustang Coupe. Why did I get rid of these cars for ? I know why, because I'm stupid, stupid, stupid.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-05, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Re: Preview: 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

GT500 reborn as a modern thoroughbred: Shelby, SVT create most powerful Mustang ever

Autoindex.org

Ford has issued the following press release:

The most powerful factory-built Ford Mustang in history takes to the street next year, following a unique collaboration between performance car legend Carroll Shelby and the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT).

Ford took the wraps off the 450-plus-horsepower Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 show car at the New York International Auto Show March 23. Designed in the unmistakable image of Shelby Mustangs of the 1960s, the Shelby Cobra GT500 melds SVT's modern engineering with the big-block performance that made the original GT500 the king of the road.

"The all-new 2005 Ford Mustang is one of the hottest cars in many years," says Phil Martens, Ford group vice president, Product Creation. "Its chassis was engineered from the beginning to be the basis of a high-performance, world-class sports car from SVT, and the Shelby Cobra GT500 is it."

Carroll Shelby lends his support to SVT, adapting his earlier role as a senior advisor on the "Dream Team" that was assembled to develop and build the 2005 Ford GT. "I've worked with the SVT guys for several years now, and I know they have the guts, the talent and the passion to deliver the best performance Mustangs ever," says Shelby.

A production version of the GT500 will go on sale in 2006, continuing the high-performance lineage of the SVT Mustang Cobra model line. It will be followed by a steady stream of performance products developed by SVT, including Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin, the industry's first performance sport-utility truck, in 2007.

Shelby Cobra GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 produces over 450-plus horsepower
Just as the original Shelby GT500 was the "step up" to big-block power from the GT350, the new Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 steps up to Ford's 5.4-liter "MOD" V-8. The result? The GT500 is the most powerful factory Mustang ever. Its supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 evolves from SVT's experience with supercharging the "MOD" engine to deliver more than 450 horsepower and 450 foot pounds of torque.

The cast-iron-block, four-valve engine is force-fed an air-and-fuel mixture via a screw-type supercharger at 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost. Aluminum cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings sourced from the Ford GT program bring a high level of proven durability to the drivetrain, while upgraded cooling components promise longevity. "Powered by SVT" camshaft covers are the finishing touch to the engine.

The engine has been further tuned from its first application in a Mustang, the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, a limited edition model of 300 units.

Helping to put the power of the GT500's supercharged V-8 to the pavement is a T-56 six-speed manual gearbox.

Great power requires great control
The great Shelby Mustangs of the 1960s were anything but one-trick ponies. They earned their stripes on twisty roads and race tracks across America and Europe. The Shelby Cobra GT500 show car continues that legacy of all-around performance.

The GT500 starts with the solid 2005 Mustang underpinnings. The all-new Mustang's platform was designed from the beginning with performance derivatives in mind, providing an exceptionally rigid, well-engineered starting point for SVT chassis engineers.

Using real-world experience gained during more than 12 years of building great-handling SVT Mustang Cobras, SVT engineers retune and upgrade key chassis components. Improvements such as revised shocks, spring rates and upgraded stabilizer bars help the GT500 stop and turn with the same authority as it goes.

The GT500 features a MacPherson strut independent front suspension with "Reverse L" lower control arms, and a solid-axle, three-link rear suspension with coil springs and a Panhard rod for precise control of the rear axle.

To match this power and handling ability, SVT fitted some of the biggest brakes in the business to the GT500. Fourteen-inch cross-drilled Brembo rotors up front and 13-inch discs in the rear continue SVT's legacy of great-braking Mustangs. Secure footing is provided by 19-inch wheels wrapped in high-performance tires.

The snake is back - Legendary looks with SVT function
The Shelby Cobra GT500 combines the dramatic design genes of the all-new Mustang with Carroll Shelby's legendary performance image to create an SVT Mustang that broadens the power brand's design approach and appeal.

The 2005 Mustang design team drew inspiration from classic 1968 Mustangs, the models that transformed the mild-mannered pony car into a muscle car with attitude. Envisioning an SVT model, the team tested GT500 design cues on the Mustang GT coupe concept that was unveiled at the 2003 North American International Auto Show. In 2004, designers further developed the GT500 look on the Mustang GT-R, a race-bred concept with the dual purpose of foreshadowing SVT's Mustang design direction and Ford Racing's plans to return Mustang to road racing.

The GT500 now comes into full light, punctuated by the classic Le Mans-style white stripes that race along the top of the show car's "SVT Red" paint from nose to tail. The stripes recall the Shelby Mustangs that marked another important 1960's Mustang transition when Ford put it on the track to becoming a racing legend. The GT500 nomenclature is prominent in the lower bodyside racing stripe, another cue from the classic Shelby Mustangs.

The unique rear fascia features strakes inspired by the Ford GT's integrated rear airflow diffuser, and a rear spoiler reminiscent of a classic GT500. To mark the collaboration of two Mustang performance icons, the GT500 features Shelby and SVT badging.

Continuing the snake logo tradition of past-generation SVT Mustang Cobras, as well as late-model Shelby Mustangs, the fenders each feature an updated design of the Cobra. For the first time on any SVT Mustang, the front grille features an off-center snake in place of the standard running horse. "GT500" is emblazoned inside the side rocker stripes, and the name "SHELBY" is prominently featured across the rear deck. The SVT logo can be seen on the wheel center caps, a signature SVT location, as well as on the doorsill plates. To top if off, the "gas cap" medallion between the taillights reads "Shelby GT500" centered on the Cobra image.

The interior is completely wrapped in ebony black leather, including the top of the dash, door panels and center arm rest. Also wrapped in ebony leather are the shift lever, shift boot and parking-brake handle. SVT Red leather seating surfaces and door panel inserts provide a marked contrast to the rest of the leather-trimmed cabin, surrounding the performance enthusiast with luxury and comfort. Snake logos embroidered into the seat backs finish the package.

The Shelby GT500 script and Cobra image are repeated on the steering wheel cap. Behind the wheel are titanium-faced gauges swapped in location so that the tachometer is dominant visually for the driver. The chrome accessories inside the cabin have been replaced with a satin aluminum finish, including the aluminum shift lever knob that is nicely positioned for quick, positive shifts of the six-speed transmission.

Stacy94PGT
My first car was a 67 Mustang Coupe, 2nd one was a 67 Cougar XR-7, 3rd one was a 66 Mustang Coupe. Why did I get rid of these cars for ? I know why, because I'm stupid, stupid, stupid.

My next Ford.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-05, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Showstopper: Ford launches the Shelby Cobra GT500, its baddest Mustang yet

WES RAYNAL/AUTOWEEK

2006 FORD SHELBY COBRA GT500
ON SALE: June 2006
BASE PRICE: $39,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 5.4-liter, 450-plus-hp, 450-plus-lb-ft supercharged V8; rwd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3600 lbs (est.)
0 to 60 MPH: 4.5 seconds (est.)

Ford celebrated the Mustang’s 40th birthday last year by whipping up one of the wildest Mustangs ever, the GT-R concept displayed at New York 2004. At the time, we said we hoped the history-obsessed automaker wouldn’t morph the GT-R into some sort of catastrophic new-age Mustang II Ghia with a landau vinyl half-roof. No such worries: Hank’s car company is following up the GT-R with the Shelby Cobra GT500.

While the GT-R was a showcase for Ford’s performance parts biz, this 2005 New York show car is about 90 percent of what we will see when the Shelby goes on sale next summer, replacing the SVT Cobra. On paper, the GT500—in development for more than a year and officially approved two months ago—has enough power and flair to put Chevrolet’s base Corvette C6 smack on the trailer.

Blasphemous? Consider: SVT boss Hau Thai-Tang has stuffed the extraordinary 5.4-liter, dohc, 32-valve supercharged V8 from the Ford GT sports car under the Mustang’s hood. Final horsepower figures are not firm, but Thai-Tang hints it will be “well over 450 hp, closer to 500.” Look for 450-plus lb-ft of torque too. Whatever the final numbers, Ford says this will be the most powerful production Mustang ever. Engineer Thai-Tang, who did a stint at Newman-Haas Racing, sums up the powertrain succinctly: “It’s gonna be a monster.”

The engine mates to a Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission beefed up to handle the power and torque. Underneath, it turns out those rumors of a live rear axle in the next-generation Cobra were true: The car will have basically carryover Mustang GT suspension, with MacPherson struts in front and the live axle in back, tuned for the 500 with revised shock valving and higher-rate springs.

Thai-Tang and his team aimed for a better-controlled ride than the GT, particularly at low and medium speeds, with better body control (included in Thai-Tang’s stable of test cars is a Pontiac GTO—the 400-hp version, as well as a C6 Corvette and a BMW M3). Front brakes are 14-inch cross-drilled rotors with 13s in the rear. The car should weigh about 3600 pounds, 200 more than a GT, Thai-Tang says.

By the way, Thai-Tang has a message for those of us bummed out about the live rear axle: “Drive the car first,” he says, “and you’ll see it’s a nonissue, because the chassis is dialed in so well.”

“I didn’t know what to expect before I drove the car,” said Carroll Shelby. “I knew the car looked good. Then I drove it. Wow. It’s everything I hoped it would be.”

We’ll just have to wait and see.

Like a proud papa, SVT chief designer Doug Gaffka had a gleam in his eye when he gave us a walk-around of the GT. “We looked most to the ’68 GT500 for our inspiration when we started on the car more than a year ago,” Gaffka told AutoWeek. “In fact, the new GT500 design was at the forefront of our minds since we started the whole Mustang program.”

It shows. To the GT’s long hood and short rear deck, Gaffka and team added a sinister-looking new front fascia with a one-inch-bigger grille opening to force more air to the engine. There are also new headlamps, a one-inch-higher hood (to accommodate the supercharger), and new rear fascia, spoiler and diffuser. That spoiler isn’t just for show—it provides 80 pounds of downforce at 120 mph. Wind tunnel testing will continue.

The concept squats on 19-inch wheels; in production the GT500 will use 18-inch Goodyears.

The interior looks like the Mustang GT’s but with the quality bar raised: Instead of waves of hard, shiny, cheap-looking plastic, the 500’s dash, door panels and center console are trimmed in leather. There will also be a new, thicker three-spoke steering wheel and slightly stiffer seat bolsters, as well as the SVT logo on the kick plates. The leather upgrades will be offered across the Mustang range in 2007.

Final prices are not set but the last SVT Cobra cost $35,000. Ford officials say the goal is to keep this car priced less than $40,000. “You won’t be able to touch this performance for the money,” Thai-Tang says. GT500s will be built at the Ford/Mazda joint-venture plant in Flat Rock alongside Mustang and Mustang GT. Ford won’t commit to a production number, but says it will build all the 500s drivers demand.

Drivers? Count us in. And bring on the next 40 years.

Stacy94PGT

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-06, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

2007 Ford Shelby GT500

Automotive News

The latest from Ford and Carroll Shelby promises 475 horses and an equally impressive amount of torque from a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8. The GT500 will be available as both a coupe and a convertible when it hits dealerships this summer.

Stacy94PGT

My next Ford.....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-06, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

2007 FORD SHELBY GT500: MOST POWERFUL MUSTANG EVER

Autoweek

Performance Inspiration: Carroll Shelby and Ford Special Vehicle Team join forces to create a modern successor to the famous Shelby GT500 of the late 1960s
Performance Hardware: 475-horsepower supercharged V-8, 6-speed manual transmission, race-tuned suspension, four-piston Brembo brakes
Performance Design: Mustang heritage with aggressive muscular front-end design, Le Mans racing stripes, unmistakable “Cobra” logo and Shelby nameplate

DETROIT, Jan. 8, 2006 – What happens when a legend from Texas reunites with a legend from Dearborn? The most powerful Mustang ever.
After 40 years, racing legend Carroll Shelby and the Ford Mustang are back together with the introduction of the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500.
The collaboration between Shelby and Ford’s Special Vehicle Team (SVT) is yielding an instant collector’s Mustang that builds 475 horsepower in its 5.4-liter supercharged V-8.
A modern interpretation of the Shelby Mustang of the 1960s, the Ford Shelby GT500 uses advanced engineering to attain the performance that made the original GT500 the king of the road.
True to the original GT500, it will be available both as a coupe and as a convertible when it goes on sale in the summer of 2006.
“When Carroll was developing the original GT350 and GT500, he wanted to build the most powerful, most capable Mustangs of his day,” says Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation and Special Vehicle Team. “Our goal was to build the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever.”
Serving as touchstone and inspirational leader for both the concept and the production versions, Shelby was impressed by what the team has accomplished.
“It’s one thing to put 450 horsepower in an exotic supercar,” says Shelby. “It’s another to put that much power in something as affordable as a Mustang. The fact that they not only met their goal but pushed on to 475 horsepower is a remarkable achievement.”
Shelby knows something about creating modern supercars. He served as a senior adviser on the team that developed and built the 550-horsepower Ford GT.
Power Play As expected of anything with Shelby’s name on it, the heart of the car is what’s under the hood. The Ford Shelby GT500’s supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 evolves from Ford’s experience with tuning its modular, or MOD, engines. Output is a brawny 475 horsepower.
The engine is force-fed an air-and-fuel mixture via a “Roots-type” supercharger providing 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost. The GT500 uses a cast-iron engine block. It borrows from the Ford GT program aluminum, four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, adding a high level of performance durability to the drivetrain. “Powered by SVT” camshaft covers add the finishing touch to the engine.
Helping put the power to the pavement is a 6-speed manual gearbox. For the performance driver, its evenly spaced gears mean less “stirring” is needed to find the “sweet spot.” This gives a rewarding experience throughout the engine’s broad torque curve. The heavy-duty transmission has proven itself a willing companion to Mustangs in both road and track environments, including recent road-going Mustang Cobras and the new race-winning Mustang FR500C.
Power Requires Control
The Ford Shelby GT500 continues a legacy of all-around performance that made the original a world-class racer on tracks and road courses around the world.
The Ford Shelby GT500 starts with the solid Mustang underpinnings. The all-new Mustang was designed from the beginning with performance derivatives in mind, providing an exceptionally rigid, well-engineered starting point for GT500 chassis engineers.
SVT engineers retuned and upgraded key chassis components. Improvements such as revised shocks, spring rates and upgraded stabilizer bars help the Ford Shelby GT500 stop and turn with the same authority as it goes.
The Ford Shelby GT500 features a MacPherson strut independent front suspension with Reverse L lower control arms, and a solid-axle, three-link rear suspension with coil springs and a Panhard rod for precise control of the rear axle.
This rear suspension design has been validated on the track by Ford Racing. The Ford Racing Mustang FR500C was purpose-built from the base 2005 Mustang body structure and suspension geometry to run in the Grand-Am Cup series, a class of road racing for production-based cars.
Competing against the best from Germany and Japan, a Mustang FR500C won its first race in the season opener at Daytona International Speedway in February 2005. It went on to dominate the season and clinch the championship.

“SVT and Ford Racing will be working closer than ever as we go forward on future projects, especially Mustangs,” says Thai-Tang, a Ford Racing alumnus who served as the race engineer for the Newman-Haas Racing team in 1993.
To match this power and handling ability, engineers fitted some of the biggest brakes in the business to the Ford Shelby GT500. Four-piston Brembo calipers are fitted to 14-inch Brembo vented rotors up front, and 11.8-inch vented discs in the rear continue SVT’s legacy of great-braking Mustangs. Secure footing is provided by 255/45ZR high-performance tires in front and 285/40ZR high-performance tires in back. Wheels are
18 inches by 9.5 inches.
The Snake is Back One glance shows this is not the typical Mustang Cobra. A sinister-looking front-end design includes wide upper and lower fascia openings with a functional air splitter. The upper intake sports the famous Cobra logo floating off-center in place of a centered galloping pony found on other Mustangs. On either side, slanting headlamp openings add to the dramatic front appearance.
The bulging hood has heat extractors protruding near the leading edge, combining to provide improved airflow and aerodynamics. As air passes over the hood, hot air from the engine compartment is drawn out through ducts attached to the hood extractors.
“The restrained, performance-oriented SVT design theme has become instantly recognizable to enthusiasts without brash styling cues,” says Doug Gaffka, design director, Ford SVT vehicles. “The GT500 takes a huge leap forward by combining the modern Mustang muscle car with the classic Shelby performance look.”
The 2005 Mustang design team drew inspiration from classic 1968 Mustangs, the models that transformed the mild-mannered pony car into a muscle car with attitude. Envisioning a high-performance model, the team tested GT500 design cues on the Mustang GT coupe concept that was unveiled at the 2003 North American International Auto Show.
In 2004, designers further developed the GT500 look on the Mustang GT-R, a race-bred concept with the dual purpose of foreshadowing SVT’s Mustang design direction and Ford Racing’s plans to return Mustang to road racing. The Ford Shelby GT500 Cobra concept coupe capped the design conceptualization effort.
The production Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe now comes into full light, punctuated by the classic Le Mans-style white stripes that race along the top from nose to tail. The stripes recall the Shelby Mustangs that marked another important 1960s Mustang transition when Ford put it on the track to becoming a racing legend. The GT500 nomenclature is prominent in the lower bodyside racing stripe, another cue from the classic Shelby Mustangs.
In a touch also borrowed from the GT500’s past, no Le Mans stripes will be seen on the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 Convertible. However, the convertible will sport a cloth top similar to those fond on pricier convertibles.
“There were no Le Mans stripes on Shelby’s original GT500 Convertible, so we decided to pay homage by not offering them on the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500,” says Gaffka. “We also went with a cloth top material as another measure of substance and authenticity. The fabric used is the same used on the 2002-03 SVT Mustang Cobra, the Thunderbird, Jaguar and Ford’s other high-end convertibles.”
The unique rear fascia features lower strakes inspired by the Ford GT’s integrated rear airflow diffuser, and a rear spoiler reminiscent of a classic GT500. To mark the collaboration of two Mustang performance icons, the GT500 features Shelby and SVT badging.
The fenders each feature an updated design of the Cobra. The front grille features an off-center snake in place of the standard running horse. “GT500” is emblazoned inside the side rocker stripes, and the name SHELBY is prominently written across the rear deck. The SVT logo can be seen on the wheel center caps, a signature SVT location, as well as on the doorsill plates. To top it off, the medallion between the taillights reads “Shelby GT500” centered on the Cobra image.

Cockpit Upgrades
Inside, too, upgraded levels of flair and function abound. The locations of the speedometer and the tachometer are swapped to provide performance-oriented drivers with a better view of shift points while changing gears. Front seats have received additional lateral support to help keep the driver optimally positioned during cornering. The interior is offered in a choice of two colors, Charcoal Black or Charcoal Black and Crimson Red. The charcoal/red offering features Crimson Red seating surfaces and door panel inserts. Seating surfaces are leather with both interior treatments. Snake logos embossed in the seat backs finish the package.
The Shelby GT500 script and Cobra image are repeated on the steering wheel cap. Behind the wheel, the gauges wear light faces in keeping with SVT tradition. The chromed accessories inside the cabin have been replaced with a satin aluminum finish, including the aluminum shift lever knob that is nicely positioned for quick, positive shifts.
SVT and Shelby: The Legends Grow
With the look and legend one would expect from Shelby and the kind of power and performance enthusiasts have come to expect from SVT, the GT500 points to a brand-new era in Ford’s performance future.
Shelby first put his name on a Mustang back in 1964 when he was asked to inject some high performance into the brand-new pony car. The result was the GT-350R, a lightweight, handling-focused race car that earned Mustang its first performance credentials. Subsequent Shelby Mustangs included a street version of the race car, the GT-350, and what was known as the “rent-a-racer” Mustang, the GT-350H, a joint project with the Hertz rental car corporation.
The ultimate Shelby Mustang of the era was the GT-500KR, or “King of the Road.” Powered by a big block 428-cubic-inch “Cobra Jet” V-8, the GT-500 was one of the most powerful, and memorable, muscle cars of that period. Shelby Mustang production ceased in 1970 with a total volume of 14,559 units.
The Ford Special Vehicle Team brought high performance back to Mustang in 1993. After 12 years, with nearly 80,000 high-performance Mustangs on the streets and total SVT vehicle production nearing 145,000, SVT is primed for growth with the GT500 serving as the foundation for other performance Mustang projects.
By bringing together Shelby and Ford SVT, the company’s commitment to performance becomes as powerful as at any time in its history – including the famed “Total Performance” days of the 1960s. From the Ford GT supercar, the GT500, to a rejuvenated Ford Racing Performance Parts program, performance and racing can drive innovation and add luster to Ford’s proud brand heritage.
“SVT will remain the leader in performance vehicle engineering,” says Thai-Tang. “It will continue to build new, innovative products using advanced processes that will not only provide great enjoyment to the dedicated driving enthusiast, but that also will provide great benefit to other Ford products and Ford Motor Company itself.”
The Ford Shelby GT500 will be built at the Ford-Mazda joint venture, AutoAlliance International, in Flat Rock, Mich.

Stacy94PGT

My next Ford.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-06, 01:23 PM
FF.com Administrator

Looks very nice in white.

I'm sure there will be a waiting list for this car.

Lance
71 429SCJ Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles