1993 NC Fairlane Starting issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-15, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

1993 NC Fairlane Starting issues

Hi I have a 1993 NC Fairlane which has had some starting issues since we purchased the car and it is now starting to do my head in. The car would start if you banged the steering wheel or the top of the dash but now even that is not working so well. I have an extensive history with working with cars but this one seems to elude me. I know it is electrical but where should I start?. Just replaced the starter motor and I am thinking it could be bad grounding (earth)... Help please

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-15, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1993 NC Fairlane Starting issues

I heard someone talking about possible computer issues after disconnecting the battery not sure how true this is but any advice would be great.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-15, 10:49 PM
Moderators

Re: 1993 NC Fairlane Starting issues

It will be either the Smartlock Module, the steering lock (not the key barrel or ignition switch itself) or perhaps an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser grafted into the steering column wiring.

Start by taking off the steering column plastic shroud and resoldering any joints where an immobiliser/alarm has been grafted in. At the same time, check the steering lock at the opposite of the key closely and carefully; when they first start coming apart it is hard to detect.

The steering lock issue fails on most Oz Fords; see Australian Ford Forums
and

My EF Ignition switch has fallen apart - help! - www.fordmods.com
etc to see what to look for.

If you have all the parts, you may be able to repair the lock by putting it back together and re-crimping it into place, but generally once it has failed you will need to buy a second hand replacement and they are not cheap.

If's it's not the lock or wiring, likely you have a sticking relay and or dry joint in the Smartlock Module (it sits in the dash panel above the handbrake handle) . You can try reflowing all the solder on the PC board and replacing all the PC board relays or cleaning the relay contacts but it is generally easier to buy a second-hand replacement on ebay or from a wrecker noting it must be of the same colour with the same number and Fairlane ones can be hard to source. This one Ford 6 93 EB Falcon GLI Smartlock Module in SA | eBay may not fit; especially if your car is a V8.

If you can get the starter to turn by jumping the starter relay near the coolant recovery bottle (use a piece of wire with two male spade connectors) but it does not start this is a good indicator it's the Smarlock module but also check that the grounding screw for the ECU (which also retains the ECU retainer clamp) in the passenger side kick panel at the bottom of the 'A' pillar is not loose (if so, a bigger self tapper will fix it) and that no immobiliser alarm wiring has been grafted in there (if so resolder the joints after disconnecting the battery). While you are looking at the relay clean the socket contacts with contact cleaner lubricant (not just CRC or WD40) as coolant spilled in there builds up a insulating coating of green corrosion; and try a new relay. But this is unlikely to be the cause given your symptoms. More likely it's the Smartlock Module; steering lock or wiring inside the column shroud.

You'll also need to reprogram your keys after fitting either a new Smartlock Module or steering lock assembly.

Regards Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech