Replacing lash adjusters (lifters) on a 93 Fairlane - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By CatSkinner
  • 1 Post By 93 Fairlane
  • 1 Post By 93 Fairlane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-16, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Replacing lash adjusters (lifters) on a 93 Fairlane

Hi all, I have finally decided to do the lash adjusters on my 1993 NC Fairlane, it has been making that typical loud tapping sound as I have heard many other older 6 cylinder Falcons/Fairlanes do. The lazy lifter sound comes and goes but I have a new set of lash adjusters here, I just need some pointers in what to look out for and what issues might arise. I have a torque wrench and I have a pretty extensive mechanical background but I have not done these before. I also heard someone say to put a little bit of grease to hold the adjusters in when re-installing. Any information/advise would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-16, 09:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Replacing lash adjusters (lifters) on a 93 Fairlane

I've always been told to avoid regular grease, but to use assembly grease, but that was just for general assembly. Any time I open valve covers, I wash as best I can the lifter assemblies and spray parts cleaner down the drain ports to flush them clear. Last thing prior to putting the covers back on, I pour clean oil over the lifter\rocker assemblies and make sure the drain ports are draining freely. Reassemble, then change the oil and filter. Not sure if there's anything engine specific with yours.
93 Fairlane likes this.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-16, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice CatSkinner, I am planning on inspecting the rocker assembly this afternoon and doing the job tomorrow, I will keep you posted on what the outcome is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-16, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Ok I have an issue... I replaced the lash adjusters as stated in the workshop manual and now when I start the car it has a lot of valve train noise. Not sure what is causing this but I need help.... I am done for today as it is bloody hot outside.......... What have I missed?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 02:09 AM
Moderators

On doing that type of job I would always change oil filter and engine oil using a good oil of the correct grade .

Never, never, never give up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Fairlane View Post
Ok I have an issue... I replaced the lash adjusters as stated in the workshop manual and now when I start the car it has a lot of valve train noise. Not sure what is causing this but I need help.... I am done for today as it is bloody hot outside.......... What have I missed?
Did you soak the lifters in oil to fill them? Lifters when new out of the box are full of air. I always put them standing up in a tin of engine oil and work the plunger with a push rod. When the bubbles stop coming they are primed with oil. If you didn't do this they will clatter like hell until they purge the air and fill with oil.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Did you soak the lifters in oil to fill them? Lifters when new out of the box are full of air. I always put them standing up in a tin of engine oil and work the plunger with a push rod. When the bubbles stop coming they are primed with oil. If you didn't do this they will clatter like hell until they purge the air and fill with oil.
I guessed this might have been this issue, I have just undone the rocker assembly and I am about to remove the lash adjusters and fill them full of oil. I thought the assembly lube would be enough but obviously not. I will let you know how I go.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Well good news, I ended up having to take the whole rocker assembly apart and found out that the oil tubes on a couple of the rocker arms were blocked from old lash adjuster material, I cleaned the whole rocker assembly and lubed up every part making sure no dirt got in, re-torqued it down and the sound is gone and the car is running very smooth. I made a video of what I did except cleaning the whole rocker assembly. I will be uploading the video to Youtube later and share the link here.
CatSkinner likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Here is the video on Youtube.
CatSkinner likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-16, 01:27 AM
Moderators

Good to hear you got it fixed , thanks for update and video which should help others .

Never, never, never give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech