351C Running Hot - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-03, 05:36 PM
Catching Bugs

Re: 351C Running Hot

buy yourself a after market gauge like a splitfire or autometer i found that halfway on my dash gauge was on 80 on the mechanical gauge so urs might not be getting as hot as u think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-03, 08:17 PM
RIP Sox.....

Yep, fan issue. Get the biggest electric fan available and shroud it properly.
Don't bother with a mechanical fan, they suck too much power, and an electric comes on only when it's needed.

Rick.

4L I6, naturally aspirated producing 173.5rwkw.
14.410 @ 96.49mph with street radials.
What's that?..... Did I hear you say TQE power?

Last edited by Soxx; 12-28-03 at 09:17 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-03, 08:32 PM

hey fellas, had the same problem in my xd
all we did to fix it was get a big 7 blader which sux heaps of power but works well, ohh, we also cut the plastic shroud about an inch all the way around to suck the most air through the radiatior at idle, worked for my but i dont know if it wil for you

XDman

HOLDEN
Holes
Oil
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-03, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for all the input guys, the thermostat comes in at 170 degrees, and it has an aftermarket 7fin flex fan, no fan shroud though and I havn't widend the front an extra inch either side, I didn't relise it'd make so much difference not having the shroud there.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-03, 08:27 PM
Mr Slippery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovie
Thanx for all the input guys, the thermostat comes in at 170 degrees, and it has an aftermarket 7fin flex fan, no fan shroud though and I havn't widend the front an extra inch either side, I didn't relise it'd make so much difference not having the shroud there.

it makes no diffrence whatso ever having the fan shroud missing if you are doing anything over 40km/h as the whole radiator is being used by the air being forced trhought it, but at standstill the fan shorud makes the fan pull air through the entire unit just as if the car was moving.

Tyre Fryers 'r' Us for all your burnt rubber needs....
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-16, 11:29 AM

For months I have been trying to figure out why my 351c was running so hot (190-210F or higher) with a 180 thermostat. I have read all the posts and followed the suggestions, but to no avail. I have found the problem for 'my' overheating, and maybe to the overheating problems of many other 351 Cleveland owners. First, what I have.

Basically - 1967 Mustang 351c, C6 automatic, new 4 core radiator, blocked off heater outlet and inlet, Flamethrower III distributor, Performer intake, Sanderson block hugger headers and 351c specific thermostat, Flowcooler water pump. I rebuilt the engine and trans about 5 months ago. Overheats.

My theory and my fix: Removed brass water restrictor plate under thermostat, replaced it with a West Coast Classic Cougar aluminum water restrictor plate. Installed Stant 180 degree thermostat (now same as a 351w). Dang, still overheating!! I re-examined the Stant thermostat, and the hole to pass coolant when the thermostat opened seems awfully small. As a test, I left the thermostat out and drove all over creation (outside temperature was 60 degrees). Temperature did not exceed 150F. Hurray!!!! Finally! It appears that the thermostats currently sold are too restrictive, and while driving the car, temperature slowly creeps up till it is overheating. I don't want to keep running without a thermostat, so I ordered a Milodon 180 degree thermostat, which is supposed to be hi-volume. Hope to post results soon.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-16, 06:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Nice to know!

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech