Replacing rear main seal in a 351 cleveland - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By big.al

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-17-18, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Replacing rear main seal in a 351 cleveland

Hey guys my name is Greg I need some info I have a 71 ford torino with the 351 Cleveland, rear main is leaking removed the old rope seal. reading forums getting some conflicting info, I'm replacing the rope seal with the 2 piece rubber seal my question is the pin or stud in the bearing cap should I grind it out or leave it in, some say it will leak if not removed i'm needing some direction from people who's been here already thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-20-18, 02:40 AM

Re: Replacing rear main seal in a 351 cleveland

You must remove the pin and fill the hole with silicone. It will knock out pretty easy.
Push it from the outside of the cap toward the the seal surface so you don't risk damaging the seal surface .
Otherwise you will distort the seal and it will leak. I wouldn't try to grind it. you will damage the cap.
Also, you should rotate the seal halves slightly so they are offset from the bearing cap mounting surface to the block.
Attached Images
File Type: gif seal.gif (29.4 KB, 4 views)
Aussiblue, jwko and Bert like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech

« Unknown blocks | - »