Is there such thing as 351C/400m ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-13, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Is there such thing as 351C/400m ?

I have a motor that has 351C/400M on the valve covers , I've never heard of a 351C/400M as one motor. So my question is, is it it's own motor or is that a valve cover for a 351C or 400m and just looks like it's one motor , I don't have the motor at my house it's in another state , that's all the info I have on it . I've tried looking for info on it but can't seem to find any, I don't know what it came out of or what year , it's in a F350 now .

Moony is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-13, 05:55 PM
Registered User
r-clar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Demotte Indiana
Posts: 1,959
Re: Is there such thing as 351C/400m ?

This has been discussed many times with my friends. There are three different 351s from that era. The Windsor the Cleveland and the modified. They are all 3 different motors. The modified used in the late 70s early 80s from what I have found is essentially a 400 block destrocked to a 351 with other power killers for emissions. Quite possible it's a 351m/400 as it's usually referred to. The Windsor is small block based and has part guys use on 302s. The Cleveland I don't know much about to be honest.

Sent from App
r-clar is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-13, 06:58 PM Administrator
Big Block Ford's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bay of Plenty New Zealand
Posts: 4,975
Re: Is there such thing as 351C/400m ?

Your engine will be a 351M or a 400M. Im not sure of an easy way to tell which it is apart from maybe measuring the stroke length unless there are some engine tags on the engine still that can identify it.

The "M" series 351 and 400 are based on the Cleveland so a number of parts are the same and interchange such as the heads. The big difference with the "M" series over the Cleveland is the block was made for the 400 which means the deck height is higher than the 351C and it was simply stroked down for the 351M.
The bellhousing pattern for the "M" is the bigblock pattern whereas the 351C is the smallblock pattern like the Windsor.

71 429SCJ Mustang
Big Block Ford is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-13, 05:46 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 172
Re: Is there such thing as 351C/400m ?

It'd be a 351M or 400, 400M isn't a proper designation. The 400 block was basicly a raised deck C block with a crank with 351W main bearings. The 351M, as was said was just a destroked 400 because they couldn't produce enough 351Ws to cover needs. Most 400s and all 351Ms have the 429/460 bell pattern. In '73 they made some 400s with an altered tail with the SBF bell patten. They use a head simular to the 351C-2V
George1861 is offline  
Sponsored Links

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome