Wiring New uni Bosch Alt - Page 3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-05, 05:32 PM
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Wiring New uni Bosch Alt

Yes, definately the same. It's much neater just running to the B+ terminal.

XB Fairmont (street car) [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-05, 09:09 PM

Sorry I didn't get to post earlier, but 'net was out....

Anyway, you should have got instructions with the new alternator telling you what to hook up to the "L" and "S" terminals. The intructions also would have told you that you might need to fit a lower wattage globe to the indicator light, as the reg is a bit sensitive to current draw.

As for the "S" terminal, If you could just hook it up to the B+ terminal, don't you think Bosch would have done that?? The instructions would clearly tell you the reason why it should be connected to the battery. If you aren't keen on that, run it to the starter motor.... Although on an XD/E the battery is "busy" with wires anyway, so one extra shouldn't bother you.

The alternator will work fine (at first) with it connected to the B+, but, again, the instructions will tell you what will happen.......

And to all the "I have mine hooked to the B+ and it is OK" people out there, I repeat, if it was OK to do then Bosch would have done it themselves. Take it up with them if you disagree.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-05, 09:12 PM
74 XB Fairmont

What issues is it supposed to cause? Mines been like that for 3 years. I was told to do that by an autoelec who's done it plenty of times. I've not had a single issue. Go figure? I had more trouble with standard Ford alts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-05, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
What issues is it supposed to cause? Mines been like that for 3 years. I was told to do that by an autoelec who's done it plenty of times. I've not had a single issue. Go figure? I had more trouble with standard Ford alts.
I'll raise you 2 there Brenx...........so that makes me 5 years with the 2 wire hookup.

RPO-083, for my own education on the topic, would be interested to hear what the instructions say (never had a set ) about not running the other wire.

XE Falcon
393 Tremec TKO 9"
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-05, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
82XE 351c

its up and working just run to the B+, I have elec training and i see no difference in placing in either spot other than if the fuse ever blow, so will the sence wire which will also make the alt stop chargin, which is a good thing i reacon.

thanks for the help guys!!!
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-05, 10:16 PM
74 XB Fairmont

No drama's.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-30-05, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
I'll raise you 2 there Brenx...........so that makes me 5 years with the 2 wire hookup.

RPO-083, for my own education on the topic, would be interested to hear what the instructions say (never had a set ) about not running the other wire.
I will have to try and find them, if I still have them. I fitted mine years ago as well. I won't be 'til the weekend, so be patient....

I just remember thinking, "well, OK then..". Mind you, it may be a stupid reason, and will feel stupid. But, at the time, I was convinced!!! This isn't a back-step from me, it's just that I may be 'wiser' now (hopefully I am!!!).

I actually was talking to the electrician at work today about this thread, and he said sometimes you need to hook it up to ign +, or the battery may be drained by the regulator.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-30-05, 03:28 AM
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
I actually was talking to the electrician at work today about this thread, and he said sometimes you need to hook it up to ign +, or the battery may be drained by the regulator.
That makes sense. I ocassionally hear a high pitch squeal which I assume is the reg in action. Now I know wtf it was.

Post up the info as I'm interested to find out more

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-05, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
82XE 351c

The warning lamp is in circuit with your ignition, atleast it should be.
This is where it gets it fire signal. The battery sense is just that I have been told.
So it your warning lamp is working fine, then it should on be activating the reg when the key is turned.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-18-14, 06:15 PM

For all those unsure on how to use the "Sense" wire, read this as it may help!

It is used to boost the alternators voltage output to cover any voltage drop by long cable runs or poor connections.

So, if your battery has been moved to the boot for example and you have a long cable run into the engine bay you may actually have a voltage drop of around 1v. Doesn't sound like much and while you alternator is putting out ~14v measured at the B+ terminal on the back of it, your battery is only getting ~13V or less and therefore not charging properly.

Connect the "Sense" wire to the battery +ve terminal in the boot and the alternator will boost the voltage so that there will be ~14v at the battery.

Alternatively, you can connect the "Sense" wire to a distribution block or fuse panel in your engine bay and will boost the voltage at that point if it senses it is a little low.

Short cable runs usually have very little to no voltage drop across them and you may not see any difference, especially if your battery is in the engine bay or your car is fairly new.

As mentioned, connecting the "Sense" wire to the back of the alternator is pointless as the alternator will just read it's own output and never boost the voltage while a few meters away the voltage is lower than what it should be. While this works fine and your "Alt" light is off you're not benefitting from the full potential the alternator can offer.

Also worth mentioning is that should you have a lower than desired voltage at you fuse box or in your cabin, electronics items including things from radios, power windows, ignition coils, thermo fans and electric pumps will not be working to their maximum capacity.

Using a voltmeter, measure the +ve power at your fuse box and if you find it to be lower than what is coming out the back of your alternator then temporarily disconnect the "Sense" wire from the B+ terminal on the back of your alternator. Then connect the the "Sense" wire from your alternator to the fuse box and see the voltage difference!

Anyone with an old car that may experience any of the issues above and doesn't have an alternator with a "Sense" wire or has hooked it up to the B+ terminal on the back of the alternator should seriously think about upgrading or re-wiring to benefit from having a higher voltage around the car.

There's plenty of info on google about this, just search for "alternator sense wire" or similar...

Just my two cents...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech