Is the 302 Windsor a good motor? - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Re: Is the 302 Windsor a good motor?

Cool thanks guys. The reason I ask is that I have seen some standard EFI Windsor's go and they appear to be very very average performers in stock form. I remember seeing one at Motorvation trying to turn the tyres and he couldn't even do a half decent skid. I know they have lots of potential I was just wondering how much. It seems that with bolt-ons you can get plenty out of them. Once again thanks for the response.

Check out www.injektd.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 02:50 AM

Ive done 60'000 km since i bought it and 110 000km by the owner before me i have no idea of the torture it must have been but can say that its been an extremely reliable motor. I drive it all week and theres not one day where i dont put my foot down...it goes through a heavy workout regime and the only problems Ive had are leaky timing cover and water pump gaskets, worn hoses and harmonic balancer...and yes if you read my other thread a recent oil pressure issue.. but other then that nothing. No oil consumption, no overheating and no black smoke.

As for performance i would say it takes a bit of work to get them movin, EB - EL V8s are the worst, with stock HO Manifold and E7 heads these are the most restrictive parts of the engine and are also the most expensive parts to replace the good news is theres a lot of aftermarket parts to choose from FMS, AFR, TFS, Edelbrock to name a few. In stock form i think you would be hard pressed to pull more than 150rwkw and a high 14 sec 1/4 mile.

AU models are much better though with smaller pulleys, no EGR, aluminuim rockers, explorer manifold standard through the range, port matched if its a series III XR8, GT40P heads and bigger cam.....the list goes on.

The only real gripe i have with the windsor is its a weak block for big horspower....and by that i mean 400+hp...but even then you can get an aftermarket block.

EXIT - 1998 EL XR8 Auto
ENTER - 2003 BA XR8 Auto
with Cat back exhaust

Power - 190rwkw
1/4 Mile - Coming Soon

I JUST MUNCHED A 14.2SEC TWIN TURBO SUPRA.....TWICE. GO THE BOSS.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 03:00 AM
Officially Bored with 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYEL 8
Whats the max amount of power that e7 heads will flow?
SFA..
If you port em, you'll be lucky to hit 230-240 rwhp...

FORD.... "POWER TO THE PEOPLE"...

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 04:46 AM
Pro-M Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Wtf do you expect on here????
They only do 550.000 klrs before total overhaul...

The trouble is they don't rattle like the gen lll's which Holden say isn't a problem so they must be right...
Mines done that and still doesn't blow any smoke and still goes hard...
Shane

PM me for your Pro-M prices

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDEWAY
Cool thanks guys. The reason I ask is that I have seen some standard EFI Windsor's go and they appear to be very very average performers in stock form. I remember seeing one at Motorvation trying to turn the tyres and he couldn't even do a half decent skid. I know they have lots of potential I was just wondering how much. It seems that with bolt-ons you can get plenty out of them. Once again thanks for the response.

The World Burnout Champion aka Garry Myers - black 66 mustang blown runs a little windsor
"rev em up"
Also pulled 170 mph on the salt at lake gardener in the same car

Mustang bred FALCON
The start of a "LEGEND"
XR-GT....x2 both Gold September 67 build
Australia,s 1st V8 muscle car
BA PURSUIT Citric Acid ,leather,manual,premium,stripes
99 Harley Davidson Springer softail custom :badass
4 sale
Genuine 5 slots painted centers NEW chrome rims 14x6 &14x7 new potenza tyres & genuine caps
$3000.00
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 06:23 PM
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
The World Burnout Champion aka Garry Myers - black 66 mustang blown runs a little windsor
"rev em up"
Also pulled 170 mph on the salt at lake gardener in the same car
Yes but if it doesn't have a Holden or G.M badge on it then it doesn't count !!!
To some one eyed people..

Yes nice car...In some ways tooo nice to be teated the way it is ???
Good ole "Boss" 302....

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!
Tuned & maintained by "Peppertree Perfmormance". Dart block, Scat 4340 steel crank, Custom C.P pistons.Oliver rods.. Mal Wood twin plate clutch.. Twin SC61/2's,482 rwkw/ 645 rwhp..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 07:57 PM

I think the application is an important issue.

They are a small engine, they fit almost everywhere, and up until recently were still being made.

A pro-stock racer i know is using an 8.7 deck windsor at the moment, and it sees 11,000 rpm and over 1000 hp and the math on the rod stroke ratio must be spot on, he has never lunched the engine.

The windsor is so good, that tega had to make an allowance for holden to use a similar format.

it would have been cheaper for holden just to put the windsor in it.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-04, 09:59 PM

if they make the boss for another 30 years, then maybe that will be a better motor....

but so far the ol' windsor has done us all proud. I love 'em. and i love mine cause it's the best factory incarnation of one (although I guess it's not a 302)
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-04, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
if they make the boss for another 30 years, then maybe that will be a better motor....

but so far the ol' windsor has done us all proud. I love 'em. and i love mine cause it's the best factory incarnation of one (although I guess it's not a 302)
Its still a 302 block...and yes the best incarnation ever...now all Series III T3 owners should go the same way laminge did....and get a blower.

EXIT - 1998 EL XR8 Auto
ENTER - 2003 BA XR8 Auto
with Cat back exhaust

Power - 190rwkw
1/4 Mile - Coming Soon

I JUST MUNCHED A 14.2SEC TWIN TURBO SUPRA.....TWICE. GO THE BOSS.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-04, 06:31 AM
Two SC 61's = trouble

Um his is an R302, but yes still a Windsor..
Blower or turbo !!!!

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!
Tuned & maintained by "Peppertree Perfmormance". Dart block, Scat 4340 steel crank, Custom C.P pistons.Oliver rods.. Mal Wood twin plate clutch.. Twin SC61/2's,482 rwkw/ 645 rwhp..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech