Building a 331 need some info - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 85ltdcrownvic
  • 1 Post By CatSkinner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-17, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Building a 331 need some info

Having a 93 HO block being built to 331 (actually 332) using Eagle crank, forged pistons etc..
I'm building a set of GT40P heads, spring kit, not sure yet about bigger exhaust valves or not.

I'll be running an older Weiand intake and Edelbrock 600 carb to begin with and hope to upgrade to Edelbrock or Holley FI later.

What I could use are some suggestion on is cam to run. I'm looking for a good everyday motor with torque to pull a 3000 lb trailer up and down mountains. Burn old tires off from time to time and run down the strip occasionally. I had planned to run the E303 but not sure if that's the right one to go with

How I'll tell you what this truck is. It's an 85 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park wagon. I'll be running a slightly built AOD (supposedly good to 550hp.... I'm still up in the air about the rear end. It's running 2:73's at the moment but plan on 3:55. I've been looking for a 92 to 97 P71 unit but they seem to have disappeared. The other problem is I want some big meat on the back so I may just as well rebuild this rear end or build something a bit narrower.

Thanks much,
Rev

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-17, 12:53 PM
Moderators

I would suggest talking to a machine shop or tuner for the best answer. A cam has to be tailored around everything else as it ties everything together, if you will.

I like the ford letter cams personally but by todays standards they are outdated and will be too much lift.

By the way, are/were you on moddedmustangs? I swear Ive seen your name and avatar somewhere else a while ago.
reverendcolin likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-17, 06:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Building a 331 need some info

How streetable? keeping an LSA around 110 dropping much below and you end up with a high idle due to overlap, but you get a lot of high end HP and torque. For driveability, I'd recommend a 275 duration that will still be snappy. As far as lift, that depends on the pistons. A few things to consider, if you don't mind paying more per gallon, you can drop LSA a little as well as upping the duration 5 degrees and increase compression ratio. As 85 stated, you may want to consult someone about this to get the right combo. You can assemble an engine and all the components are what you'd expect to see in high performance, but they end up fighting each other. As for cams, here's a fairly good article. HotrRod had a good one a month or two ago, but I can't find it.

http://www.jdmcars.com/tech/lift_duration.pdf
reverendcolin likes this.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-17, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm on a lot of ford/mercury forums. Gleaming info anywhere possible. I talked to the engine builder and he said the E303 cam would work well for what I had planned. Talked to Alex at Alex's Parts https://www.alexsparts.com/ about the cam and what spring set I'd need.
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I will talk to him about your suggestion.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-17, 06:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Forgot about springs, might want to upgrade those. Heard good things about the beehive design.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-17, 07:44 PM
Moderators

I dont want to pretend I know more than I know about engines and thats why I say to consult a builder/tuner. The e cam with gt40s would probably compliment each other fairly well but like I said it is old technology.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-17, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Looking for any info I can glean. Thanks, all.
I've been told by another friend to stay with the stock size exhaust valves if I was looking for low-end torque.
Any ideas on that?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-17, 12:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

Maybe. This is where the expertise of a good tuner\builder comes into play. You have to remember, the more air you put in, the more has to come out. Duration, LSA and lift may (and probably will) compensate for a smaller valve. Regardless of engine design, the more low end torque you add, the more you take away from the top end. Some designs have a flatter torque and HP curve than others, but even then, this holds true. The quickest way to change the torque output and hold your high end power is with rear end differential ratio. 4.11's are the most popular for street and combining it with a 6 speed (or better) transmission. The higher the number of gears result in a broader range that you're in your peak power. I was personally skeptical of how well this works until I drove an F150 EcoBoost with sport mode and a 10 speed transmission. My truck has a HO 5.0 cammed out with a 5 speed manual and 4.11 LS in the back. I'd love an extra gear with a higher speed final drive, but the price of a transmission to give me that is a little out of my reach right now. However, first through third, I can almost make my '73 drift with 30" Goodyear Wranglers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech