EL Fairmont starting problem - HELP! - Page 4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-02-03, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

PROGRESS!

I sqirted a considerable amount of freeze spray into the BEM today when the car was hot enough to fault. Fired 1st go.

Drove the car for 10mins and then found power windows wouldn't work. I then heard a click-click-click sound; Reaching down, I could feel that something inside the BEM was switching (like a solenoid) causing the sound. 1st click=windows dead, 2nd click=windows worked, 3rd click windows dead etc...

Taking advantage of this opportunity, I stopped the car and started it, fired 1st go. Stopped the car and waited for the next click... tried to start again, wouldn't fire. But wait, this is the best bit... whilst cranking and cranking and cranking, the 3rd click occured and the engine sprung to life! Sounds pretty conclusive to me :):):):):)

Additionally, the Smartlock lite was constantly illuminated as I drove the car home.

I'll get a new BEM and see how that goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-02-03, 03:03 AM
Shh i'm huntin more power

Freeze spray and electronics is bad It's a very old school method of finding heat related faults and poor solder joints that occur when hot. When sprayed on a warm bit of equipment it actually stresses electronic components by the rapid heating and cooling causing just as rapid expansion and contraction which can cause boards and components to fail quicker. In this case it sounds like you've hit the nail the head, so good stuff for finding your gremlin.

Ok, i'm taking my nerd hat off now....
post #33 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-02-03, 03:40 AM
Birth, Drift, Death...

either that or he just F*cked the BEM and the problem is elsewhere.....

no hopefully that was the problem, damn the ford techs are going to be embarased when they find out the owner of the car has figured out what was wrong when they couldnt...

by the way:
Quote:
Hmmmm, that's interesting. I may open up a can of smack-down on my BEM next time it happens. See if some ass-whooping makes her behave. Cheers for that!
mate that is some of the funniest writing i have seen in a while, actually did make me laugh out loud!!!!!

Slick, Quick and Fulliii SIK!!!
Proud TQE Operator

197.4hp at the wheels, [email protected]/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-03-03, 12:04 AM

replace the power up and fuel pump relays.they are both under the collant header tank one relay is green and the other is brown believe me this is the problem.i have repaired this prob heaps of times
post #35 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-03-03, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

Yes, rapid heating and cooling does cause physical stress. But with care it is an invaluable diagnostic tool as you can alter the temperature of components over a wide range in a moderate amount of time to determine how the components respond (as long as you stick within the operating parameters of the components that is!). We even found at work with some of our embedded controllers that you can submerge semiconductors in hot soapy water (we did this to eliminate mechanical faults in neighbouring components) safely. We have done this to perhaps 50 different machines over two years and zero failures. We maintain these machines to component level and a neat trick is to surround suspect components with thin plastic tubing to isolate the freeze-spray and pick the exact part that is faulty.

I told Metro Ford about my findings, they are ordering me in a new BEM. They said that if it didn't fix the problem, they would pay for it and just add it to their inventory. How good is that! I will definitely check out those relays too. The work that they have done on the car so far has been written off as "training".

b.t.w. BEM smack-down was unsuccessful
post #36 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-03-03, 06:14 PM

also recently we had a xr6 that would not start and just crank everytime we went to diagnose the the vehicle would start.eventually the starting prob occured in the workshop we found if the bem was taped with a screw driver while the key was held in the crank position the car would start.so remove the bem took out the circuit board and found a dry solider joint
post #37 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-04-03, 10:55 AM
Ford Member

roll

This is real funny, I read this thread a few days ago and though to myself how anoying a problem like this could be and also expensive!!

Well guess what started to happen to my car over the last 3 days! I have a 96 IL6 EL, 95kms, get 550-600km out of a tank so the car dosent get driven hard. Anyways leaving work on Thursday the car would not start like it usually does it was cranking over for about 3/4sec before it fired. Dindt thing much of it at the time. Yesterday it did the same thing (both these days the car was in the sun). Today (Saturday) car started fine in the morning (cold) and about another 6 times after that during the day (hot). This morning leaving Freo at 1am it wouldnt start, engine wasnt stone cold coz it sat for about 2 hours. It was winding over for about 10sec 3 times and then it fired. I left it to idle for a bit and i noticed the idle speed drop to ~500rpm a couple of times while sitting there for odd 30sec. The car drives fine i cant notice anything wrong with it while driving. Worst thing is as many have mentioned it could be so many different things that are causing the problem! Real pissed off coz i have spent $1200 in the last month replacing odd parts on this car and now this!

What is a BEM??
post #38 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-04-03, 06:34 PM
Chromed Member

bem stands for BODY ELECTRONICS MODULE

its basically a computer which controls things like smartlock, door locks, intermittent wipers, electric arieals etc.

It also sends a signal to the ECU (Electronic control unit...aka engine computer) to tell it that the car has the right conditions for starting (like the key is in the right position and no-one has tried to tamper with it). Once the ECU recieves the correct signal, the engine will crank and start.

The BEM is mounted in the area to the left of the steering column, roughly above where the handbrake used to be on eb's.
post #39 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-04-03, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

well XtRmn8, sounds like a rather similar situation to mine. Hopefully this thread can be of some benefit to you. You can drive around with the dash off and the BEM hanging to the left of your feet, that way you can observe its behaviour a little better. There is some general information on the BEM at http://www.fordmods.com/ click on "Smartlock Information". Can't wait until Metro Ford call me next week to have the new BEM fitted! I hope that solves all my problems :)
post #40 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-04-03, 11:13 PM
Ford Member

This morning the car started first go. Its real weired how sometimes it crancks first go and like last night i thought i wouldnt be going anywhere. I recal once when i washed the engine down and water got in the distributor cap and it was the same thing the car wouldnt start, had to wait till it all dried out. Worst thing is you cant trust your car anymore, you never know when it could leave you stuck somewhere! Comes to the point where you wish you could just burn the f#$%ing thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech