EL Fairmont starting problem - HELP! - Page 5 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-05-03, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

I hear ya! I was seconds from a tin of gas and a lighter plenty of times!

Eagers Holden who sold me the car told me that it was "characteristic of the model" in order to escape more diagnosis costs.

Never buy a car from them if you expect to be treated like you are in possession of a brain afterward.

I had that trouble in my Calais that I owned before this Fairmont. I drove through some deep water and the engine just died, I was hoping that it hadn't sucked any up but I think it was the distributer (it was an older calais) since it started quickly after its extraction from the drink.

DId your fault just occur out of the blue? It seems that you can question the BEM if it is a heat sensitive fault or if it responds to some violence around the BEMish area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-05-03, 01:47 AM
Ford Member

paulc, yes it only started on Thursday. Had trouble starting four times now. Last night or early this morning (1am) was the worst so far. I've had no drama today. The water issues was water in the distributor, even if i drive over a big puddle of water the engine can develop a slight missfire. Pretty piss poor if you ask me, coz the Holden V6 can be soaked in water and still run with no drama! I know coz that how the mechanics clean em at work, the entire engina bays are washed!
post #43 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-06-03, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

Hey everyone, I got a call from Ford yesterday and it turns out that they are getting in a reconditioned BEM, not a new one. Should I be concerned about this? I mean I've heard lots about BEM failure and not to trust a 2nd hand one. Even if it works for a while who knows how reliable it'll be?

Where do these "reconditioned" BEMs come from? I mean they must have been faulty at one stage and then fixed??? Surely my warranty would cover a new component!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-06-03, 11:33 PM
Wildlife Photographer

Have you checked all your fuses and the fusebox ?

Please check out V8FREAKS.COM !
Be sure to drop a line !
post #45 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-14-03, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

Well yesterday I fitted a brand spanking new BEM to the car. Today I left it in the sun and same old problem. I am so disheartened. Time to roll her into the ocean I think.
post #46 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-14-03, 09:35 PM
Chromed Member

!!!OH NO

WHAT A BUMMER !!

theres nothing worse than spending your hard earned money on something that doesnt make JACK SHIT difference.
post #47 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-14-03, 10:44 PM

paulc have you tried the fuel pump and power up relays?
post #48 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-15-03, 09:52 AM

Also check the integrity of all earth points. There is one earth point for the ign and the BEM on the/under the dash/firewall in front of the driver, don't know exactly where as I am looking at a wiring diagram. Someone else might know exactly.

Don't give up!
(But if you are going to burn it, get into it with a lump of 4x2 first, most satisfying)

"I married Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always."
post #49 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-15-03, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

In retrospect, ocean dumpage or 4x2 action may be a little drastic. I'm in more of a analytical mood now so I'll get stuck into it again when I have a few hours.
post #50 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-16-03, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
do YOU have rubber?

OK, so after wondering why Ford decided to put the fuel pump and power up relays in the most inconvenient and inaccessible place possible, I took them out and went shopping few new ones. They're quite pricey! Fuel pump relay was over $70 and the other about $40. I bought the new power up relay and fitted it. It was cheaper and I suspect that it is more likely to be the problem considering that the fuel pump seems to be working and the fuel pressure seems ok. Lets see how it goes in the sun tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech