How to hydraulic lifters work on the 351W? - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-17, 01:01 PM
Moderators

Re: How to hydraulic lifters work on the 351W?

In the past, warnings were given about switching to synthetic oil because it could harm the engine. The reason for this was that many synthetic oils contained esters, which are organic compounds mixed with alcohol. This combination was often hard on seals in the engine, and would cause them to wear down and start to leak rather than sludge damaging the seals .Synthetic oil technology has improved over the years, and most cars on the road today should be able to use either synthetic or regular oil, so long as the proper weight is used.

"Synthetic motor oils damage seals. "

Untrue. It would be foolhardy for lubricant manufacturers to build a product that is incompatible with seals. The composition of seals presents problems that both petroleum oils and synthetics must overcome. Made from elastomers, seals are inherently difficult to standardize.

Ultimately it is the additive mix in oil that counts. Additives to control seal swell, shrinkage and hardening are required, whether it be a synthetic or petroleum product that is being produced.

That is from Ed Newman , Marketing Manager for AMSOIL INC., manufacturer of the original synthetic motor oil for automotive applications. He has published more than 200 articles as a freelance writer on a wide range of important topics.

Never, never, never give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-17, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Um, okay. I had a 1997 Explorer w/ 150K miles on it. Changed the oil regularly. As soon as I switched to synthetic (100%), within 6 months, it had sprung oil leaks from the front, rear, oil pan, and head gasket leaks. It was like a sieve. I got rid of it because of it. Whatever the case about synthetic oil & sludge, I would never switch from one to the other on a high mileage engine again. I started off my new Subaru w/ synthetic and will keep it that way.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-17, 01:35 PM
Moderators

We seem to be getting off original post a little .I thought the different oils may have been a topic you had investigated in your research into your problem and had data / figures on the subject which MIGHT have been an interest to some members .

Never, never, never give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-18, 08:00 PM

Two kinds of sludge, both low temperature and high. Synthetic oil prevents high. Water temp above 195 prevents low, and modern PCMs controlling engines at slightly above 212 degrees to boil out water get rid of the main ingredient needed to make sludge acids. I use conventional non-syn oils now at 9K OCIs and still cannot make my engines sludge up and at over 200K now.

The OP is rattling because the last 1/8th to 1/4 turn is not real, it's interference at running out of thread and why he is rattling. To get it right the lifter top needs to be about .010" deep into the lifter body, the lifters commonly have from .060"-.080" total travel in them and if running like normal you seek to the middle of that. Running the lifter out at .010" has it act like an anti-pumpup type, we used to run normal cheap lifters like that and at 7500 and plus sometimes rpm with no pump up at all. The spring being stout enough to allow zero valve float is what stops the pump up, it can only happen when parts separate at float.

I used to use a C-clamp to collapse oil filled lifters by hand all day long.

You can spring oil leaks everywhere if the PCV valve stops up really good.

The rockers having that much side flop are not at zero clearance, the flopping disappears once that tight. Unless using ball type rocker pivots.
R.S.LOGAN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech