Mild mods in Melbourne to improve the T3 package - Page 5 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-20-04, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Re: Mild mods in Melbourne to improve the T3 package

A pic of the linished stroker crank, bores have been plateau honed, new moly rings and tri-metal bearings
[IMG]ftp://ftp.users.bigpond.com/Stroker.crank.jpg[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-20-04, 09:03 PM

This is a surprise for noddy, as i havent called him yet.

We fired up his engine today. All the intial signs are good. pressures and temps everywhere ok. It started on the first crank, something i like about the "old" windsors.

For the "numbers" people, we found a little more in the heads. the heads initially flowed 217 cfm @ 500". We normally see around 205 - 207. We got them up to 232cfm @ 500". The heads are consistently better through the lift range.

After a light hone, a linish on the big ends and a balance check, i was overly pleased with the job Tickford has done with these engines. The build quality of these engines is second to none. Just the sand in the inlet was a little stressfull, being the reason we gave it a light hone and new rings. The leakdown on the engine was under 4 percent, so as i said, it was overkill, but we did it anyway. I treat all clients engines as they are my own.

A new camshaft, new valvesprings collets and retainers, and machined rocker posts (to retain the one-turn preload spec) rollmaster and a fel-pro gasket set. Everything else is totally stock. Im amazed at the balance of the engine. Any wonder the owners rave about these cars.

I will be aiming to do some k's in the car tonight to give the rings and bearings some break-in, and we will start some light throttle work on the dyno in the morning. We are very pleased with the way the car has come up so far.
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-21-04, 12:07 AM

You would be chomping at the bit Noddy to get your pride and joy back!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-21-04, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Woohoo! thanks for the update Chris, good to hear that Tickford screwed these things together correctly.
The next couple of days should be interesting....
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-21-04, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 50
You would be chomping at the bit Noddy to get your pride and joy back!?
Yes and no, every time I wheel into the garage and see the wifes 4cyl Camry sitting there and nothing but concrete next to it I do, but Id prefer for Chris to have the car for three months if he needed it, he is very well respected amongst the drag racing/engine building fraternity and to top it off he is a Ford enthusiast. So as the saying go's, all good things, I am in no hurry as I know it the final result will be well worth it.
post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-22-04, 01:21 AM

Finally, after a long stint with noddy's car, we managed to dyno today, and found out that the standard computer WILL NOT CUT IT.

The AF ratio drops to 9.8:1 at WOT. You might as well put a fire hose in the combustion chamber.

The ideal AF for this car is around 12.5 - 12.7 :1, depending upon driving conditions.

I have booked the car into APS to have a unichip fitted on monday. Before and after graphs will follow.

But, the car has 264.2 hp @ the wheels, or 197 rwkw in this rich state. my best guess is that we will see 208 - 210 with the finished product, and a bag more torque.

Stay tuned.................
post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-22-04, 02:40 AM

Chris,

what is a ballpark cost for porting the std heads, new valves, rockers, cam and tune for this exercise- Kostecki's are talking about doing this to mine and want to slug me $6000 for the privelage- I thought this was pretty high.

I was working at around that sorta money for a set of fully loaded AFR's, cam and computer- is that high? Also, who else could you reccommend over in WA to do the mods- you seem pretty respected and being a Ford person I believe I would trst your judgement.

By the way (mines a manual) I had my car dynoed at Adrenaline in Bunbury last Wednesday on the Dyno Dynamics from the summernats in shootout mode and pulled 287.6hp at the wheels (exhaust and BMC)

And for public display- my earlier claims of 320hp over the last 12 months were not shootout modes- so I am full of crap. They were pretty impressed with the power, but the Air/fuel ratios resemble what you are saying- they really dump in the fuel up the top end of the rev range.

Let us know what we can do for this- we are all waiting very, very patiently (especially Noddy) lol
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-22-04, 02:45 AM
When 2 T3s are not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB 5.6
But, the car has 264.2 hp @ the wheels, or 197 rwkw in this rich state. my best guess is that we will see 208 - 210 with the finished product, and a bag more torque.

Stay tuned.................
Im keeping right out of this one, but 197 rwkw ???????

TS50 no-125
TE50 no-94
"The TE50 is the best high performance sedan Australia has ever produced"
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-22-04, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Im keeping right out of this one, but 197 rwkw ???????
Yes, 197 rwkw in shootout, in 2nd gear.

Third gear, with the pull initiated at a higher road speed to avoid kickdown into second will find you a "free" 6-10 rwkw. look at the road speed on his dyno sheet (if i can work out how to attatch it)

I pulled the car 12 times, and we saw figures over 200 b4 the heat soak set in, but we were trying to get past the woeful AF ratio with a rising rate fuel reg.

We could have pulled fuel out bigtime, but to achieve the 12.5-12.8 AF ratio at wide open throttle, we would have seen a nice figure, a little closer to our target, but it may wound the engine, and its not my engine to abuse.

There will be a good 8-10rwkw once the mapping is sorted, and thats second gear. Once im satisfied with the behaviour of the engine, the car will be shipped back to noddy, and the real test at willowbank will occur.

IMPORTANT NOTE - RUNNING THESE CARS ON THE DYNO FOR MODIFICATION OR DEVLOPMENT SHOULD BE DONE IN SECOND GEAR IN AN AUTOMATIC EQUIPPED VEHICLE, AT A MAX SPEED OF 120-130. THIS WILL YIELD A SMALLER FIGURE, BUT PUT LESS LOAD ON THE CAR FOR REPEATED WORK.

we are not finished yet.
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-22-04, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
Chris,

what is a ballpark cost for porting the std heads, new valves, rockers, cam and tune for this exercise- Kostecki's are talking about doing this to mine and want to slug me $6000 for the privelage- I thought this was pretty high.

I was working at around that sorta money for a set of fully loaded AFR's, cam and computer- is that high? Also, who else could you reccommend over in WA to do the mods- you seem pretty respected and being a Ford person I believe I would trst your judgement.

By the way (mines a manual) I had my car dynoed at Adrenaline in Bunbury last Wednesday on the Dyno Dynamics from the summernats in shootout mode and pulled 287.6hp at the wheels (exhaust and BMC)

And for public display- my earlier claims of 320hp over the last 12 months were not shootout modes- so I am full of crap. They were pretty impressed with the power, but the Air/fuel ratios resemble what you are saying- they really dump in the fuel up the top end of the rev range.

Let us know what we can do for this- we are all waiting very, very patiently (especially Noddy) lol
Andrew Kostecki is a personal friend of mine, and his work is very expensive. Having said that, his results are spot on. Barry and Terry Batten are also experienced with the 5.6 windsors. I respect how patient everyone has been with this project, but noddy and myself are trying to achieve something big with this project.

We believe that the T3 is the greatest ford ever built, and we want to show that with a minimum of $$$ and mods, we can turn it into a real performer. Wait until next week, when we have the results, then ALL specs will be posted, hopefully for all T3 owners to enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech